Senior Build Engineer, Core Product
Location: Remote -
Job Type: Full time
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
The modern world runs on the internet, and the internet cannot exist without its underlying infrastructure. Meraki makes setting up, managing, and maintaining that infrastructure easier than it has ever been before. Meraki enables connectivity everywhere from neighborhood cafes to education institutions to global hospitality groups operating thousands of sites.
As a member of the Core Product team, you will provide strategic direction and logistical support for Meraki’s product development organization, focusing on functionality, simplicity, scalability, and availability of our build systems. You're driven by a strong desire to improve developer happiness, always keeping an empathetic ear out for developers’ day-to-day experience with tools and workflows and finding ways to improve these. You'll make incremental changes to quickly get a developer unstuck as well as propose and implement longer term changes that reduce technical debt and anticipate future needs.
As a Senior Build Engineer, Core Product you will:
- Develop, maintain, and operate a modular and scalable build system for a multi-site product development team
- Establish processes and tools to maintain code base integrity and ensure consistency of outcomes, including check-in validation rules, branch/merge processes, automated testing, and the use of static and dynamic analysis tools
- Investigate and recommend evolution to the structure of the code base and build processes to shorten the developer feedback loop
- Collaborate with the Site Reliability Engineering team to ensure scalability and availability of build systems, and the integration of its processes with the agile tool set used to track user stories and product defects
- Respond to build system issues and coordinate the triage and remediation efforts across the product teams
- Influence and drive operational excellence and best practices within the organization
You are an ideal candidate if you have:
- 6+ years of relevant experience in the areas of development, build, and release engineering
- Experience with development of modular build systems and tools for a scalable continuous infrastructure that supports product development in a multi-platform (x86, ARM, etc.) embedded software environment
- Solid understanding of the integration between automated software testing and the build process
- Experience with C/C++ compilers and toolchains
- Experience with Linux and open source software
- Experience with embedded build systems such as Yocto, CMake, Make, and Autoconf
- Strong scripting knowledge using Shell, Groovy, Ruby, and/or Python
- Experience with distributed version control systems such as Git, GitLab, and/or Gerrit
- Experience with Continuous Integration tools such as Jenkins and GitLab
Bonus points for:
- Experience with the use of containers in a build environment
- Experience with data collection, parsing, and visualization tools such as the Elastic Stack and Grafana
- User Experience and the ability to generate and communicate meaningful development metrics
- Experience or willingness to work in an agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, etc.)
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great teams come from a diverse set of backgrounds.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy : The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.