Software Engineering Manager, Backend
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so that our customers can focus on what's most important to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking technology that simply works for customers across the globe. Our innovative hardware solutions are led and monitored through our cloud web applications.
Our networking hardware is very popular, with nearly 10 million devices deployed globally. This popularity leads to interesting engineering challenges. Our globally-distributed backend systems handle tens of billions of requests every day. We're looking for engineers to join us in solving the challenge of growing and evolving our existing services and our organization for the next level of scale and reliability.
At Meraki, we focus on building real products that delight our customers. We believe in encouraging a positive culture by hiring, coaching, and empowering inquisitive, effective, humble people and providing opportunities for all employees to thrive. With the support of management, we constantly look within for ways to improve organizationally. We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a large company without sacrificing the atmosphere of a smaller one.
About the role
We are looking for an Engineering Manager (typically, at least 5 years of experience) to join the Network Access team, which is responsible for distributed systems that support advanced authentication and network policy enforcement. You’ll help build features and solve scalability and reliability challenges in these core parts of Meraki’s cloud offerings. Our main focus is scaling backend services that enable advanced network authentication and access policy enforcement on all Meraki devices. You’ll be supporting a team of 5 engineers with a diverse set of backgrounds spread across Boston and London.
What you will do:
- Work with engineers, product management, and other engineering leaders to set the technical vision for the team and the wider Backend Services organization.
- Partner with our recruiters to build a diverse and inclusive team
- Mentor and coach junior and senior engineers through technical and non-technical challenges
- Develop career plans for your direct reports
- Encourage thoughtful and creative ways to recognize achievements on the team
- Lead performance, compensation, and promotion review processes
- Provide thoughtful counsel as a member of senior engineering leadership
- Assist with engineering-wide initiatives (offsite, training, process evolution) several times per year
- Represent engineering at external events and speak to Meraki’s mission and vision
- Form close partnerships across Cisco to leverage their technology and talent
- Serve as the highest escalation point for customer-facing issues on the team
Here are some projects that the Network Access Team is working on:
- Refactoring frameworks/libraries and creating an internal API with a simple, unified interface for other developers to work with access policies.
- Scaling up our backend services to handle 10x the load they can today. You could help us rethink the way we do sharding and load-balancing and make our infrastructure elastic.
- Ensuring data consistency across our full stack -- 1) Meraki devices, 2) backend data services and 3) Meraki Dashboard - to enable a global customer base. Think of it as a large distributed storage system.
- Re-evaluating the data storage and architecture for our policy management system. It is built with an event sourcing pattern, and uses our custom time-series database, LittleTable to store application state.
- Building observability and troubleshooting tools and creating dashboards for our team, so that we can have visibility into the internals of our systems for debugging and identifying performance issues.
- Introducing exhaustive code quality metrics and standards as well as defining Service Level Objectives for our services.
- 3+ years managing teams of more than 5 engineers, and are passionate about growing as a manager and a leader
- Experience writing code for large-scale production environments
- Know your way around one of the languages we use: Scala, Ruby, Java, C/C++, Go. You embrace the idea of being language-agnostic
- Experience with SQL and any RDBMS is also a plus
- The ability to meet technical challenges by seeking domain expertise and asking the right questions
- Excellent communication skills (our team is distributed across several time zones)
- Experience building teams and making decisions on recruiting and organization design
- The empathy and emotional intelligence to lead a diverse and distributed group of engineers at varying stages of their careers
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great managers come from a diverse set of backgrounds.
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.