Lead Backend Engineer
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Who we are
Cisco Meraki is revolutionizing the way IT administrators manage their infrastructure by providing simple and secure cloud-managed solutions! With a large install base of customers and rich, multifaceted data sets, the potential for data analytics to improve business performance for both our customers and our own business is enormous.
Cisco Meraki collects extensive amounts of data from its devices all over the world. We collect nearly 10 million data points each second (~100B events per day). The Data Engineering team is responsible for gathering, transporting, optimizing, and storing this data. This team maintains, troubleshoots, and scales these services as our data and customer needs grow.
The Data Engineering team ensures network data presented to customers and engineers is timely, reliable, and easy to draw insights from.
What you'll do
As a Technical Leader, Backend Engineer, (Data Engineering) you will initially focus on delivering high-quality fixes for regressions and performance issues with our platform. You identify and eliminate technical debt and code smells, improving the stability and scalability of our platform.
As you mature in your knowledge of our codebase, you will be responsible for improving and re-architecting existing components and subsystems, as well as developing new systems to support the future growth of the product, in terms of scale, stability, and new capabilities.
You’ll have the opportunity to work across teams to design features and systems to solve complex problems for our customers. With millions of people using Meraki products around the world, your work will have a significant impact from the day it is deployed.
Who you are
- 12+ years demonstrated ability in architecting software infrastructure, developing, and delivering software products/services with one or more core cloud provider services.
- 2+ years of Scala / Java programming or Python languages.
- Excellent understanding of SQL, including one or more relational databases.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- BS or MS in Computer Science / related technical field or equivalent combination of graduate degree and work experience
- Demonstrate technical acumen in your work
- You are dedicated to maintaining good software practices
- Track record of tackling high complexity level problems.
- Experience in creating solutions for novel and ambiguous problems.
Bonus points for
- Proficiency in Big Data, Micro services, CI/CD, automation, containerization technologies, GitHub, Jenkins, etc
- Experience building a real-time streaming and compute infrastructure (Kafka, RabbitMQ/ SQS, Spark, etc).
- Experience with time series databases.
- Have working knowledge of network protocols used on both local and wide-area networks.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.