Senior Director of Engineering, Switching
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Our mission at Cisco Meraki is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works.
As the head of our network switch software team, you will be responsible for a $1+ billion product portfolio that connects hundreds of millions of people at schools, businesses, and government agencies around the world! Along with your colleagues in our hardware engineering and product management teams, you will craft our products: through new features, whole new product lines, and innovative updates and support for our customers.
Above all else, your success in these efforts will depend on your ability to support and grow your team: a mix of embedded developers, full stack web hackers, and outstanding QA engineers. Meraki has always strived to hire great collaborators, so this diverse set of individuals already works closely and effectively together. You will seek to align everyone to our most important objectives, offering a vision and strategy that keeps the motivated and the product looking forward.
- Work with the CTO, product management, and other senior engineering leaders to set the technical vision and short- and long-term plans for our switching portfolio
- Lead the recruiting strategy to build a diverse and inclusive team: driving decisions on whom the team needs to hire, partnering with our recruiters to define requirements, and talking to candidates
- Mentor and coach managers and senior engineers through technical and non-technical challenges
- Develop career plans for direct reports and help them do the same for theirs
- Encourage thoughtful and creative ways to recognize achievement
- Lead performance, compensation, and promotion review processes
- Provide thoughtful counsel as a member of senior engineering leadership
- Assist with engineering-wide initiatives (offsites, training, process evolution) several times per year
- Represent engineering at external events and speaks to Meraki’s mission and vision
- Serve as the highest escalation path for issues on the team
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have a strong background and extensive software engineering experience (10+ years) building networking and systems software
- Have managed cross-functional teams greater than 20 engineers and are passionate about growing as a manager and a leader
- Have experience building a team, holding decisions on recruiting and organization design
- Have excellent communication skills and can articulate a compelling vision
- Have the empathy and emotional intelligence to lead a diverse group of engineers and managers at varying stages of their careers
- Have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great leaders come from a diverse set of backgrounds.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.