Senior Software Network Engineer, Test Automation (Network Switches)
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Senior & Technical Lead (Remote Available)
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making IT and networking easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works!
Our Firmware Automation teams build and runs any and all software and hardware tests to ensure that new releases meet our quality and reliability standards. Our products are used in over a million networks and our customers rely on our products to serve tens of millions of people. With the large footprint that we have, quality is our highest priority. We are looking for a Senior QA Test Automation Engineer who is as passionate about quality as we are. Your contributions will make a direct impact to the success of our business. Meraki engineers put customer experience first, own projects from beginning to end, and are empowered to make impactful decisions!
As a member of our Firmware Test Automation team, you will rise to this challenge, partnering closely with firmware developers to deliver an outstanding experience for the users who depend on our product every day. Our test automation engineers collaborate with our firmware engineers to deliver and continuously improve this platform with high quality and confidence.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A TEST AUTOMATION ENGINEER
You may design a testbed from the ground up that has the ability to change topologies on the fly. You will have an in-house automation framework at your disposal as well as APIs to hook into for further automation. You will have the autonomy to craft and implement a solution as well as the knowledge and experience of team members to help you along the way. As a senior engineer, helping mentor more junior engineers to develop their skills as well.
Duties could include:
- Complete new product testbed operations to test products and software before market launch.
- Develop and execute test plans for new features before they ship to customers.
- Collaborate with our firmware engineers to implement test cases, understand test results, reproduce and investigate bugs.
- Work with third-party vendors to test bug fixes and new driver patches.
- Manually reproduce problems discovered during automated testbed operations and work directly with firmware engineers to investigate them.
- Running performance and regression tests, developing new tests around security efficacy and performance.
- Partner with automation engineers to scale, improve and maintain testbed operations.
YOU ARE AN IDEAL CANDIDATE IF YOU HAVE:
- A technical degree or equivalent experience with a great foundation in the basics of computer networking.
- 5+ years of experience in creating and carrying out system-level test plans.
- Experience with at least one scripting language such as Ruby or Python.
- Knowledge of end-to-end testing of physical embedded devices
- Effective communication skills and proven track record of collaboration with others.
- A passion for quality, an appetite for learning about software and systems, and an interest in breaking things to learn how to make them better.
- Experience in configuring and debugging networking equipment such as Switches, Security Cameras or Security Appliances (ex: testing IDS/IPS, Malware detection, NGFW, Firewall)
- Experience with configuring and monitoring linux systems using command line tools and utilities.
- Solid understanding of core network protocols like VLAN, TCP/IP, BGP, IPv6, etc.
- Experience with cameras, audio/video codecs, video processing, video streaming or testing consumer audio/video devices
- Experience with hardware test tools such as Ixia or Spirent
- Using development infrastructure tools, such as Jenkins, Git, Gerrit, JIRA
- Agile development and proficient with SDLC and testing life cycle
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.