Senior Ruby Engineer (Android Enterprise)
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
For the past 10 years, Meraki has had a singular focus on making IT simple yet powerful. However, a key part of an IT team's toolbox is making networks intuitive to setup and manage. Essential to achieving this goal is simplifying the world of mobile device management as our world becomes an increasingly mobile place. Our Systems Manager development team is dedicated to achieving this simplicity by streamlining the control of devices at an enterprise level. We work as a small and lean team, and wear many hats.
Meraki’s engineering culture is one of innovation and ownership. You will have a strong hand in not just building the technology, but also defining what we should be building. As an Android engineer you will work on building apps that facilitate management, inventory, and policy enforcement on both company and personally owned Android devices. These apps have both user facing features and background services to talk to the Meraki cloud, so you will have the opportunity to work anywhere from pixel perfect front ends to high performance backend algorithms. Your work will run on hundreds of thousands of devices and you will have the ownership to impact customers who touch this tool on a global level.
Meraki believes that the quality of our product is dependent on the quality of our engineers. We place a high value on nurturing the growth and development of everyone on our team. We foster an open and supportive workplace where everybody is given the opportunity to succeed.
Example projects of an Android engineer:
- Integrate new device management features within annual OS version releases
- Design monitoring features that integrate with other Meraki products
- Collaborate with UX designers and analyze user feedback to craft solutions and workflows that will impact our customers
- Build internal frameworks and pipelines to enhance developer productivity
What you will do:
- Develop and support Enterprise Mobility Management Enterprise solutions
- Create the APIs to enable cutting edge features on our web and mobile apps and external partner applications.
- Improve an internal framework to enable Meraki developers to easily write API endpoints.
- Build intuitive and powerful workflows to tackle important problems for IT professionals around the world, by collaborating with engineers, product managers and UX designers.
- Debug and improve performance issues at the database, web application, or web proxy layers as they arise.
- Solve challenging scaling problems to meet a growing user base and ensure the best experience and uptime.
- Boldly move the networking and security industry forward along a path of simplification, performance, and flexibility.
- Help other developers make architectural design decisions while evangelizing engineering best practices.
- Be a unifying force connecting people and motivating others to do their best.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have 5+ years of experience writing professional production code and tests.
- 3+ years of experience in native Android SDK development.
- Experience with web backend technologies, like Ruby on Rails / Django or willingness to learn.
- Experience with testing frameworks and methodologies (ex: JUnit, Espresso, Roboelectric, Powermock)
- Have experience building Mobile Device Management solutions.
- Experience with Kubernetes and NGINX infrastructure or willingness to learn.
- Take complete ownership from proof and concept to production release by leveraging your ability to develop code, influence, facilitate, and work collaboratively across teams.
- Would thrive in a small engineering team and are excited to solve open-ended problems across the stack.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with continuous integrations systems (ex: Jenkins, TeamCity)
- Experience with iOS development
- Experience or willingness to work on proof-of-concept spikes as well as in an agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
- Have working knowledge of network protocols used on both local and wide-area networks.
Wondering What Working at Cisco Meraki is Like?
Picture a beautiful office, balanced catered meals, fully stocked kitchens, an onsite gym, and paid time off to volunteer. Cisco Meraki has crafted an amazing equal opportunity focused office where employees thrive. We are confident you will love it here.
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from a diverse set of backgrounds
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from diverse backgrounds.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.