Backend Engineer, Secure Connect (Remote)
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
At Meraki, we’re making IT easier, faster, and smarter. Our cloud teams build and maintain our cloud applications, which manage millions of networks, cameras, and sensors all over the world. Our customers use the Meraki web dashboard, mobile app, and programmable APIs to configure, monitor, and automate critical IT infrastructure that serves tens of millions of people every single day. Cisco collects massive amounts of data from devices all over the world. We write millions of data points each second globally every day. With this data, we power our dashboard and a rich set of programmable APIs that allow our customers to gain insight into the state of their networks.
The Cisco Secure Connect team is transforming the way networking is delivered with Meraki’s legendary simplicity and cloud-first approach. Our Backend engineers focus relentlessly on scale and reliability in everything they do to support the billions of transactions that keep Meraki customers connected. Our teams are small and fast-paced, always striving to make our services unique by balancing feature-rich abilities and simplicity.
What you will do:
- Work closely with leaders in the networking industry on a high-profile project that includes collaboration across business units, rapid prototyping and integration into production.
- Solve challenging architecture problems to build scalable and extendable systems.
- With the help of other senior engineers, implement sophisticated backend systems to handle Cisco Secure Connect solutions.
- Identify and solve performance bottlenecks in our Backend architecture.
- Take complete ownership from conception to production release by leveraging your ability to influence, facilitate, and work collaboratively across teams.
- Work closely with Product Managers, UX designers and front-end engineers to develop simplified workflows for our customers.
- Ensure quality of these systems by adding tests, monitoring and alerting systems.
- You have 2-5 years of experience working on large-scale systems
- You're passionate about solving real customer problems and have experience prototyping, shipping, and iterating on new products
- You are willing to jump in and solve problems, regardless of where in the stack it is.
- You take a focused, organized approach to development, testing, and quality.
- You're experienced and passionate about analyzing, scaling, and debugging large systems.
- You're knowledgeable in object-oriented and/or functional programming languages.
- You're passionate about what you're doing and ignite people around you.
We work with a mix of languages and technologies at Meraki including Ruby (and Rails), Scala, Go, C++, PostgreSQL, Kafka, Kubernetes, ELK, Grafana, Terraform, GIT, and several AWS services like RDS and DynamoDB. We know that everyone's tech stack is different and that skills translate. If you’ve used comparable technologies and like learning new things there's a good chance you’re an ideal fit for the team.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with web development or dev-ops tasks.
- Experience or willingness to work in an agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
- Personal projects or contributions to open-source projects.
Wondering What Working at Cisco Meraki is Like?
Picture a beautiful office, balanced catered meals, fully stocked kitchens, an onsite gym, and paid time off to volunteer. Cisco Meraki has crafted an amazing equal opportunity focused office where employees thrive. We are confident you will love it here.
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from a diverse set of backgrounds
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.