Software Engineer - MV Smart Camera Backend Engineer
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Who We Are
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making IT and security easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. Meraki’s camera team is a growing, fast-moving team building security cameras with a unique edge-storage architecture, redefining an industry where innovation is rare. The MV security cameras blend the elegance and ease of use of high-end consumer systems with the immense scalability, security, and power of enterprise-grade solutions.
Who You’ll Work With
You’ll get the chance to work with a group of very skilled, humble, and collaborative backend engineers, with deep experience from start-ups to established companies. The MV smart camera backend team is focused on delivering stability, scalability, performance, and quality in MV’s backend cloud. You will be joining a team that manages core portions of the system’s backend architecture. This includes our video export pipeline, the systems that archive video securely to the cloud, services that trigger and deliver crucial alert notifications, and the APIs that power our app experiences.
What You'll Work On
We are looking for a Software Engineer with a passion for developing scalable and performant backend software, who will create the APIs and services that enable cutting-edge features on our web and mobile apps, like:
- Exporting video clips from the camera
- Configuring and accessing video footage archived in the cloud
- Motion event detection, search, and alerting
- Camera thumbnails and video snapshots
- Managing and organizing camera devices, video walls, etc.
You Will Use These Skills
- Work closely with the Frontend and Mobile teams, along with PM and UX to build consensus and define requirements and API schemas
- Design and code Smart Camera REST API endpoints, with a focus on scalability, security, and performance (Ruby on Rails)
- Design, build, and deploy services in Meraki’s Cloud and AWS
- Manage infrastructure-as-code using Terraform
- Enhance observability using key metrics, logging, monitoring, and alerting (Statsd, Grafana, Elasticsearch, Kibana, PagerDuty)
- Create unit, functional, and integration tests for services to ensure quality and correctness
- Debug and improve performance issues at the database or web application layer as they arise
You Are An Ideal Fit If You
- Have 3+ years of production experience with one of these or similar languages: Go/Python/Scala/Java/Ruby
- Have a strong knowledge of relational databases: Postgres or MySQL
- Have experience working on web applications at scale
- Have experience with cloud platforms: AWS or equivalent
- Proficiency with Docker and Kubernetes
- Would be excited to join a people-focused team, and look forward to contributing time to help your teammates
- Take a focused, organized approach to development, testing, and quality
- Are passionate about backend work and eager to learn and grow
- Understand that privacy is inherently valuable for everyone, and work to make sure our system is transparent in its operation and secure with its data
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.