Software Development Manager, Scala, Go, Java
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Meraki is making IT easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. Our full stack teams build and maintain features, frameworks, and tools to craft an excellent user experience in Meraki’s Dashboard. We operate across Meraki’s entire product line, from firewalls, switches, and wireless routers to security cameras and application analytics. Dashboard drastically simplifies the process of deploying and configuring distributed networks, enabling customers to debug networking issues in real time from anywhere. Its rich data visualizations help users detect trends in network traffic and foot traffic alike. Meraki Engineers put the customer experience first, own projects from beginning to end, and are problem solvers.
In this role you will support a 6-8 person team of software and data engineers that are constantly innovating ways to ingest and process large sets of data at scale.
Example projects as a Software Development Manager:
- Holding regular one-on-ones with your team, ongoing coaching and mentorship, writing performance evaluations, and compensation planning.
- Planning and tracking timelines for your team, ensuring efficient execution and communicating to relevant partners when things change.
- Working with our recruiters on targeted hiring efforts to make sure your team can meet the needs of the business.
- Working with senior engineers on your team to figure out the best way to build systems for analyze data in new ways. Growing those systems to enable large customers to take advantage of Meraki features at an enormous scale, locally and globally.
- Working alongside Product Management and Design to craft a feature development strategy that makes Dashboard the most intelligent network management system in the industry, while maintaining our core simplicity.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Are interested in a leadership role because it allows you to work closely with others to help them achieve their best. You have led teams of more than three people and are looking for an opportunity to explore a new domain while nurturing the continued growth of a team.
- Have 5+ years of experience building systems that maintain a balance between time to market, usability, and incurring appropriate technical debt.
- Have experience writing code for large-scale production environments.
- Are adaptable and versatile, but also understand the business necessity of schedules, estimates, and deadlines.
Experience with at least one of the following languages: Scala, C/C++, Go, Java, and modern data processing frameworks like Kafka or Spark, and Infrastructure frameworks like Docker, K8S, ELK, etc.
Bonus points for experience with any of the following:
- Mentoring individuals at different stages of their career
- Networking technologies
- Working closely with Product Management, UX, or Design teams
- Data analytics systems
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great managers come from a diverse set of backgrounds.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.:
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.