Principal Application Engineer (Full Stack)
Location: Riverwoods, Illinois
Job Type: Not Specified
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As a Principal Full Stack Application Engineer, you’llbuild and release reliable software systems at scale. By partnering with enterprise-wide) teams, you’ll develop and maintain full stack solutions that fit our business needs. You’ll use your holistic view of all products (and their interactions) to design elegant solutions and strategize the future state of our larger technical ecosystem. By independently innovating and advocating for best practices, you’ll solve complex problems and guide the team on implementing solutions from inception to production.
Creates solutions addressing high impact technology and business priorities
Competent in multiple contexts, including programming languages, security, automation, testing, and business domains and is the go-to person for many people (inside and outside of their team)
Participates in strategic technology decisions and learns how these decisions impact Discover as a whole
Proactively identifies and mitigates issues based on intuition and experience in multiple domains
Coaches technology communities at Discover
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
Bachelors – Computer Science or related
6+ Years -- Information Technology, (Software) Engineering, or related
Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of proficient on the Dreyfus engineering scale
Bonus Points If You Have:
Strong communication and leadership skills
Experience with Java development on client facing application
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database andNoSQL database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar;Git/GitHub;Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL or Postgres and understanding of columnar data stores such as Redshift or Snowflake
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
External applicants will be required to perform a technical interview.
#LI-DR1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.