Principal Cybersecurity Engineer ( Network Security )
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Job Type: Not Specified
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork, and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Principal Cybersecurity Engineer designs the Cybersecurity engineering roadmap, and delivers highly complex secure systems, cyber applications, technical projects, and regulatory and risk requirements. This role drives Cybersecurity engineering solutions, framework, roadmap, program optimization, process engineering, risk remediation, and mitigation of operational risk in a high velocity culture. Analyzing cyber technologies, metrics models, and performance indicators are key activities this role performs on the road to identifying robust solutions and building resilient next-generation systems that solve business challenges and enhance the control environment.
- Acts as the principal advisor to upper management in Cybersecurity matters. Ensures security improvement designs are evaluated, validated, and implemented as required. Performs cyber defense incident triage, to include determining scope, urgency, and potential impact; identifying the specific vulnerability
- Certifies that protection and detection capabilities are acquired or developed using the Cybersecurity engineering approach and are consistent with organization-level cybersecurity architecture
- Explores and assesses the latest technology trends, disruptions, and security/IT service business models to ensure Business Technology maintains, and improves, organization cyber competitive edge
- Works closely with management to define and promote the strategic direction of the team. Provides strong leadership and direction to team members. Provides subject matter expertise across all Cybersecurity technologies
- Creates and maintains Cybersecurity technology roadmap. Ensures compliance to audit, regulatory and legal requirements. Makes recommendations that enable expeditious remediation
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with peers and internal business partners, and external vendors
- Oversees project implementation to ensure successful solution delivery
- Researches, engineers, and integrates new Cybersecurity solutions. Applies service-oriented security architecture principles to meet organization's confidentiality, integrity, and availability requirements
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors – Computer Science or related
- 6+ years – Information Security, Application Security, Security Engineering or related
- Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of proficient on the Dreyfus engineering scale
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Building Palo Alto NGFW capabilities
- Experience with Suricata, Zeek/Bro
- Developing automated solutions using SecDevOps best practices
- Proven security experience in a multi-cloud environment
- Demonstrated experience securing container environments, preferably OpenShift
- A visionary leader with the ability that can execute on the vision
External applicants will be required to perform a technical interview.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.