Location: Riverwoods, Illinois
Job Type: Not Specified
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
What You’ll Do
- Direct and effectively delegate staff work, serving as subject matter expert on multiple and complex business activities.
- Manage staff training, development, and performance in area of responsibility.
- Develop relationships, expanding leadership influence to accomplish results through others. Demonstrate accountability and leadership in advancing business priorities, independent of management oversight.
- Oversee design and operating effectiveness of the control environment within the area of responsibility.
- Apply judgement for the appropriate application of Corporate Policy, GAAP, Regulation, or established framework. Interact effectively with senior management as well as external parties, including auditors.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensuring efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
How You’ll Do It
- Demonstrate cross-functional perspective and critical thinking that extends beyond immediate area of responsibility. Challenge the status quo by evaluating situations from multiple facets.
- Show strong aptitude for problem-solving ― getting quickly to the heart of the issue and leveraging technical expertise to formulate solutions.
- Manage a team responsible for the completion of accounting control activities, such as account reconciliations, journal entries, and month-end close.
- Routinely review and approve work of staff members, ensuring all accounting responsibilities are completed timely, accurately, and with documentation to support.
- Lead cross-functional teams to support the advancement of new business initiatives and/or resolution of production events impacting the business. As relevant, ensure all new initiatives contain adequate accounting requirements and are tested successfully to ensure no interruption to financial reporting.
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise within areas of responsibility. Routinely field requests from staff and business partners regarding accounting subjects. Provide ongoing accounting leadership to support business partners throughout the company.
- Represent team responsibilities during month-end and quarter-end financial close. Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting is provided for all areas assigned.
- Oversee efforts relating to financial reporting, internal and external audits, and compliance. Ensure provided documentation is accurate and all reviews are performed successfully, without evidence of control gaps within span of control.
- Manage workload and resource allocation against team objectives by providing clear direction to staff and Senior Manager or Director.
- Routinely engage with staff via regular meetings and informal discussions. Provide ongoing staff training and development and deliver performance feedback and career support to direct reports.
- Continually seek efficiency and control improvements to further capabilities of the team. Leverage internal capabilities and external resources as needed to independently pursue opportunities to strengthen the team.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- 6+ years of experience in accounting or finance
Bonus Points If You Have
- Master's degree in accounting or Master of Business Administration
- 8+ years of experience in direct banking or payment services
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
#LI-EB1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.