Principal Application Engineer (Tech Anchor) API Management
Location: Springfield, Illinois
Job Type: Not Specified
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
The Principal Application Engineer will have advance technical skills around web development, React and Angular Development, CICD, DevOps, Automation, Security, Support and Operation. You will be well-versed with OpenShift (OCP) and cloud technologies to help with migration to cloud via containerized workloads.
- Analyze, design, program, test, and deploy new user stories and features with high quality (security, reliability, operations) to production
- Mentor other engineers, lead design and solutioning discussions
- Has an oversight on design decisions and guides team to achieve key results for products assigned to them
- Remediates issues using engineering principles and creates proactive design solutions for potential failures
- Contributes to and leads technology communities at Discover
- Develops and maintains full stack solutions to fit business needs. Full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development.
- Works directly with business partners to understand business requirements.
- Works independently or with own team to innovate on and advocate for best practices within the team.
- Designs complex solutions and leads them from inception to production within the agile team.
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved team processes, mentors junior team members
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
- Evangelize the Enterprise API Strategy and facilitate presentations to a wide audience of internal and external stakeholders
- Guide new technology solutions in the API space and partner with Architecture and Security teams to take through the Architecture Review process.
- Creates solutions addressing high impact technology and business priorities
- Competent in multiple contexts, including programming languages, security, automation, testing, and business domains and is the go-to person for many people (inside and outside of their team)
- Participates in strategic technology decisions and learns how these decisions impact Discover as a whole
- Proactively identifies and mitigates issues based on intuition and experience in multiple domains
- Coaches technology communities at Discover
Responsibilities also include:
- Regular interaction with Product Manager, Product Owner and Product Architect for evolution, API security enhancement and solutioning.
- Support, engineer and build activities for Portal, Gateway and API Lifecycle engineering teams and overall direct responsibility for health of the platforms.
- Leads and executes on strategic technical objectives for security and evolution initiatives across API technology platforms.
- Performs technical analysis, design, build and deployment of highly complex / scalable API libraries design.
- Infrastructure procurement facilitation and deployment through Cloud Engineering and Infrastructure teams.
- Works with an offshore team and acts as Level 3 on-call support to help the Level 1 team
- Performs automation for repeated operations activities using tools like Github, Jenkins, Ansible, Nexus, Service Now etc.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors – Computer Science or related
- 6+ Years -- Information Technology, (Software) Engineering, or related
- Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of proficient on the Dreyfus engineering scale
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Proven experience in Java
- Experience with REACT and Angular
- Experience developing and implementing API security & service architecture
- 8+ years of application development and implementation experience
- 8+ years of Java experience
- 3+ years of Agile experience
- Experience in PHP, Drupal Design and Development
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience working in Kubernetes and Open Shift Container Platform
- Experience working in cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in engineering
- Detailed knowledge of HTTP REST concepts, JSON, JSON Schema, the Swagger JSON REST specification, the HTTP protocol and status codes.
- Modern SDLC concepts and tools such as JIRA, Rally, Git/GitHub, Jenkins, Chef, Ansible, etc.
- Experience with modern software development processes (Agile, Scrum etc.) within a large
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.