Machine Learning Scientist II
Location: Seattle, Washington
Job Type: Full time
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
Are you passionate about using Data Science techniques to accurately forecast the impact of business strategies and customer trends in order adequately plan for success? Would you like to work in the dynamic, competitive, customer-focused, and data-rich world of online travel? Our Data Science team is growing! We are looking for a Data Scientist to use Machine Learning and Advanced Statistical Techniques to help forecast our complex and growing business. This role will be part of a Data Science team which helps our Finance organization by developing advanced forecasting and anomaly detection models and deploy them in production. Creating and updating these models in a constant changing environment of the online travel industry is an exciting and stimulating opportunity focused on solving a broad range of high-impact and complex problems using some of the latest Data Science techniques.
What you’ll do:
- You will support the Forecasting, BI, and Data Science team with time series and machine learning models to forecast critical business metrics such as traffic, transactions, units, gross bookings, and marketing spend
- You will support the team on ad-hoc analysis to investigate and understand unanticipated metric movements or forecasting variances and communicate results to other data scientists, finance analysts, and senior leadership suggesting model improvements following such investigations
- You will work with our Data engineering team and Finance team to productionalize forecasting data in the finance process, cloud infrastructure, and various dashboards that consume Forecast data
- You will support the team on how to consume and integrate external data within the forecast framework
- You will support the team on setting the right automated controls for financial data and external validation
- You will support the product manager to build machine learning models to prioritize and classify anomaly detection alerts to guide trading teams and product investigations
- You will collaborate closely with Finance, Product, Data Engineering, Data Visualization, and Technology teams to scope problems and implement solutions
- You will Stay up to date with the latest Data Science techniques and identify new opportunities to leverage them for Forecasting initiatives and Anomaly detection
Who you are:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters in machine learning, computer science, statistics or mathematics with strong machine learning component or related technical field; or equivalent related professional experience
- Hands on experience in machine learning, building datasets, selecting and engineering features, building and optimizing algorithms
- 0 to 2+ years industry experience in time series modeling or machine learning
- Advanced knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages: Python, Scala, R
- Experience with statistics/machine learning packages such as Spark MLlib, Python (scikit-learn, pandas, numpy, scipy, Matplotlib), Keras, TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc
- Good SQL/data manipulation skills required including cleaning and managing data
- Good programming practices, ability to write readable, efficient code
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to learn new things, techniques, and technologies
Nice to have:
- Good understanding of financial statements and metrics a plus Real world experience with Internet scale data on Spark, Hadoop, or similar platform preferred Experience with data visualization tools and packages
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.