Data Engineer III
Location: Seattle, Washington
Job Type: Full time
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
A high performing individual contributor who mentors junior engineers. applies new data engineering principles to improve existing systems, and leads complex, well-defined projects.
3+ years for Bachelor's
2+ years for Master's
- Software development in at least 2 different languages.
- Built and maintained more than one data pipeline/data product in production environments (bug fixing, troubleshooting, monitoring, etc.).
- Bachelor's or Master's or equivalent experience. Technical degree preferred.
Functional/ Technical Skills
- Displays strength in a couple of programming languages relevant to data (e.g. Java, Spark, Python).
- Identifies strengths and weaknesses among languages for particular use cases.
- Applies organizational technology patterns effectively in their projects and makes recommendations on alternate options.
- Has hands-on experience working with large volumes of data including different patterns of data ingestion, processing (batch & real-time), movement, storage and access (for both internal and external to BU) and is able to make independent decisions within scope of project.
- Displays a good understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Has hands-on experience working with at least 1 cloud technology and its offerings within the data specialization.
- Understands how projects/teams interact with other teams.
- Understands and design moderately complex systems.
- Has some familiarity with some data modeling and schema design patterns.
- Has a good understanding of organizational reference patterns and technology choices and applies them to their projects.
- Tests and monitors code at the project level.
- Understands how to test and monitor tools.
- Debugs applications.
- Tests, debugs and fixes issues within established SLAs.
- Designs software that is easily testable and observable.
- Understands how team's goals fit a business need.
- Identifies business problems at the project level and provide solutions.
- Development/language skills (Java/Python/Scala)
- Testing, monitoring, alerting
- Business acumen/domain knowledge
- Data access patterns
- Streaming technology
- Data validation
- Data performance
- Cost optimization
- Proactively teams up with peers across the organization to build an understanding of cross dependencies and shared problem solving.
- Participates in a community of practice to share and gain knowledge.
- Continually seeks new technical skills in an engineering area.
- Shares new skills and knowledge with team to increase effectiveness.
- Demonstrates knowledge of advanced and relevant technology.
- Exhibits comfort working with several forms of technology.
- Understands the relationship between applications, databases and technology platforms.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of building and operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets.
- Develops and tests complex or non-routine software applications and related programs and procedures to ensure they meet design requirements.
- Effectively applies knowledge of software design principles, data structures and/or design patterns and computer science fundamentals to write code that is clean, main table, optimized, modular with good naming conventions.
- Effectively applies knowledge of databases and database design principles to solve data requirements.
- Effectively applies concepts of object oriented design, distributed computing, performance/scalability tuning, advanced data structures and algorithms to batch and real-time stream analytics and large data processing.
- Understands software frameworks and how to leverage them to write simpler code.
- Leads and clarifies code evolution in code reviews.
- Coordinates different stakeholders with varied perspectives to develop solutions to issues, and contributes own suggestions.
- Thinks holistically to identify opportunities around policies/ processes to increase efficiency across organizational boundaries.
- Assists with a whole systems approach to analyzing issues by ensuring all components (structure, people, process and technology) are identified and accounted for.
- Recognizes areas of inefficiency in code or systems operation and offer suggestions for improvements.
- Recommends advancements, innovations and changes in technologies (specifically relating to data engineering, cloud data platforms, data models, enterprise information management, business intelligence and data science).
- Compiles data and reports on major operational or technical initiatives (like RCAs) to larger groups, whether via written or oral means.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.