Senior Software Development Engineer
Location: Seattle, Washington
Job Type: Full time
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
A high performing and influential individual contributor who leads by example while continuing to mentor junior engineers, interfaces consistently with tech leadership in the local organization, leads complex and vaguely-defined projects, and stretches into team leadership skills based on current projects.
8+ years for Bachelor's
6+ years for Master's
- Worked in at least in 2 multi-quarter projects.
- Worked in decentralized teams and projects.
- Formally mentored at least 3 individuals.
- Drove technical design end-to-end of at least 3 projects.
- Contributed to engineering community through a blog post, open source contribution, tech talks, etc.
Functional/ Technical Skills
- Has strength in multiple technologies or languages.
- Justifies technology choices to technical and non-technical observers.
- Serves as an expert for a given domain.
- Makes well defined technology choices.
- Mentors other engineers (Individual Contributor I, II, III).
- Creates team project systems.
- Guides integrations across teams within business unit.
- Understands highly complex systems and design moderately complex systems.
- Identifies and advocates for project quality via testing, monitoring and alerting at the project level.
- Has a strong understanding of testing and monitoring tools and technologies.
- Establishes operational excellence metrics at the team level.
- Guides others in design of software that is easily testable and observable.
- Has a strong understanding of how team goals fit a business need.
- Identifies business problems at the team level and provide solutions.
- Extends outside of direct organization and collaborate with peers across a senior level organization.
- Leads a community of practice and bring people together for shared learning.
- Partners with the business to have a clear understanding of how own technology stack is tied to business outcomes and our bottom line.
- Conducts successfully day-to-day work and solves complex issues in own specific technical engineering area.
- Shares domain and Industry knowledge between cross-functional teams.
- Serves as a guide to others by sharing and helping junior associates in their duties.
- Is known to fill in for peer engineering management as need arises.
- Possesses knowledge of features and facilities for integration, and communication among applications, databases and technology platforms to bring together different components and form a fully functional solution to a business problem.
- Tests and maintains software applications and related programs and procedures by using a variety of software development tools following design requirements of customer.
- Acts as a spokesperson for software design best practices.
- Researches and recommends frameworks and architectural/code design patterns.
- Identifies areas of improvements within the code and suggests solutions.
- Advocates for operational excellence (such as unit testing, establishing SLAs, programming for resiliency and scalability).
- Advises on technical limitations of software design for products and provides alternative solutions.
- Facilitates collaboration with different stakeholders with varied perspectives to develop effective solutions to issues.
- Strives for optimum organizational efficiency by applying systems thinking across boundaries and making recommendations about policies/ processes.
- Takes a whole systems approach to analyze issues and implements holistic solutions by ensuring that linkages between structure, people, process and technology are made.
- Identifies outmoded methods of operation with current systems and design plans for disrupting them in a non-disruptive manner.
- Reports on status of difficult or high-level projects to local tech leadership via written or oral means. Ensures documentation is complete.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.