Principal Software Development Engineer, Data Platform
Location: Austin, Texas
Job Type: Full time
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
Principal Software Development Engineer, Data and AI Platform
We’re the Data Processing team, part of the Data and AI Platform, and we own the development and management of the tools and services that power all data processing at Expedia Group. This includes compute and orchestration services supporting Spark, Flink, Airflow, and more.
We’re looking for a Principal Software Development Engineer to join our team to provide technical leadership and direction, and to help solve large-scale, complex problems. Coaching and mentoring our team of junior, mid-level, and senior engineers is a key part of this role. Ideal candidates must also be able to communicate well, both written and verbally, and have a proven track record of being able to deliver results.
What you'll do:
- Define the technical vision for data processing and contribute to the overall Data and AI Platform vision.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring for a talented and diverse team of engineers.
- Collaborate with engineering and product teams across the company to drive the Data and AI Platform and Expedia Group forward.
- Design and build scalable, high-performance, fault-tolerant distributed data processing tools and services.
- Deliver results in a timely manner without sacrificing on quality.
Who you are:
- A great communicator, both written and verbal.
- A proven executor that can drive change.
- 7+ years of Software Development Experience
- 5+ years of experience with Spark and Java
- Passionate about details, quality, and providing the best experience for our users.
- Proven ability and desire to mentor and coach, including introducing new ideas and technologies.
- Deep technical understanding of Spark and experience with other data processing technologies, such as Hadoop, Flink, Kafka, and Airflow.
- Strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals in design patterns, data structures, and algorithms.
- Comfortable with ambiguity. Can chart a new course of action.
- Proven ability to anticipate business needs and lead a team toward identifying and solving cross-domain problems.
- Experienced in engaging with users, technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software features, and review technical designs.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.