Senior Software Development Engineer
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Type: Full time
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
Senior Software Development Engineer
Are you excited to build new technologies that will be instrumental in bringing Expedia Group's evolving brand to life by designing, driving, and delivering services that power the travel experience for millions of users around the world? Come build the future of travel with us!
At Expedia, we believe in helping millions of travelers find that ideal destination, phenomenal place to stay, and cool activity to make their trip a life experience. At the heart of this is Expedia’s Lodging Shopping team dedicated to solving problems for travelers on their journey. Our team is spread across the world with engineers, designers, and product managers from diverse backgrounds working in unison to achieve a cohesive experience.
Our team is building a cutting-edge lodging shopping platform to allow a diverse set of customers to explore hotels, vacation rentals, resorts, and more to find their ultimate travel destination! We build and refine experiences that allow retail customers to search and explore details about properties. These experiences are powered by a wide range of APIs and capability services that we build to operate at massive scale. Our entire infrastructure handles millions of requests per minute which requires scalability, reliability, and high performance to ensure the best customer experience. Our platform serves customers on web, tablet, and mobile, across many Expedia Group brands, and through a variety of partners.
What you’ll do:
- You will provide technical leadership and expertise across multiple work streams, prioritizing your efforts by potential impact.
- You will extend outside of your direct organization and collaborate with peers across a senior level organization.
- You will successfully conduct day-to-day work and solve complex issues in your own specific technical engineering area.
- You will possess knowledge of features and facilities for integration, and communication among applications, databases, and technology platforms to bring together different components and form a fully functional solution to a business problem.
- You will research and recommend frameworks and architectural/code design patterns.
- You will take a whole systems approach to analyze issues and implement holistic solutions by ensuring that linkages between structure, people, process, and technology are made.
- You can spot outmoded methods of operation with current systems and design plans for disrupting them in a non-disruptive manner.
- You will report on status of difficult or high-level projects to local tech leadership via written or oral means. Ensure documentation is complete.
Who you are:
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in a related technical field; or equivalent related professional experience.
- 6+ years of experience in front-end development with experience on large scale systems.
- High performer who influences others across the technical organization.
- Able to lead and clarify complex projects while communicating clearly with stakeholders.
- Broad experience with multiple front-end technologies and frameworks, deep expertise in a few.
- Experienced mentor who can help other engineers level up.
- Able to justify technology choices to technical and non-technical observers while making well defined technology choices.
- Capable of guiding work steams across teams within a business unit.
- Able to understand highly complex systems and design moderately complex systems.
- Ability to identify and advocate for project quality via testing, monitoring, and alerting at the project level.
- Guides others in design of software that is easily testable and observable.
- Experience with Typescript, React, Cypress, Jest, Apollo GraphQL, node.js, k8s, and highly complex, massive scale, consumer-facing systems a plus.
Starting pay for this role will vary based on multiple factors, including location, available budget, and an individual’s knowledge, skills, and experience. Pay ranges may be modified in the future.
Expedia Group is proud to offer a wide range of benefits to support employees and their families, including medical/dental/vision, paid time off, and an Employee Assistance Program. To fuel each employee’s passion for travel, we offer a wellness & travel reimbursement, travel discounts, and an International Airlines Travel Agent (IATAN) membership.View our full list of benefits.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.