Senior Software Development Engineer
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Type: Full time
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
Senior Software Development Engineer
Team description: Do you love building scalable, highly resilient systems? Are you passionate about APIs and automation? Search no more.
Business Contribution/Impact: The API Gateway Platform team aims at simplifying the API ecosystem and providing our internal developer community and our partners with the tools and services required to deliver world-class experiences to Expedia Group customers. We work in a fast-paced environment and on highly visible projects, we own the application life cycle from conception to retirement, prioritizing quality and reliability everywhere along the way. We're growing the team and looking for upbeat, collaborative, and creative engineers who will join a core group involved in the API evolution and adoption at Expedia Group.
What you’ll do:
- You will lead the design and implementation of complex, scalable, highly available gateway solutions.
- You will lead a gateway community of practice and bring people together for collaborative learning.
- You will reliably conduct day-to-day work and solve complex issues in your own specific technical engineering area.
- You will share gateway domain and industry knowledge between multi-functional teams.
- You will serve as a guide to others by sharing and helping junior associates in their duties.
- You will possess knowledge of gateway features and facilities for integration, and communication among applications, databases, and technology platforms to bring together different components and form a fully functional solution to a business problem.
- You will creatively test and maintain gateway services and related programs and procedures by using a variety of software development tools following the requirements of customer.
- You will act as a spokesperson for software design standard methodologies and recommend frameworks and architectural/code design patterns.
- You will identify areas of improvements within the code and suggests solutions.
- You will advocate for operational excellence (such as unit testing, establishing SLAs, programming for resiliency and scalability).
- You will facilitate coordination with different partners with varied perspectives to develop effective solutions to issues.
- You can spot outmoded methods of operation with current systems and design plans for redefining them in a non-disruptive manner.
- You will report on status of difficult or high-level projects to local tech leadership via written or oral means. Ensure documentation is complete.
Who you are:
- Bachelor's degree or Masters in a related technical field; or equivalent related professional experience.
- Equivalent experience includes:
- Experience working in at least in 2 multi-quarter projects as a part of a decentralized team and project.
- Experience formally mentoring at least 3 individuals and driving technical design end to end for at least 3 projects.
- Experience chipping in to engineering community through a blog post, open-source contribution, tech talks etc.
- Strong understanding of how team goals fit a business need.
- Strong in AWS, Kubernetes, Spring Cloud, Java, Go, Kotlin.
- Good understanding of gateway solutions and technologies like – Apigee, Kong, Spring Cloud gateway etc.
- Ability to identify and advocate for project quality via testing, monitoring, and alerting at the project level.
- Ability to establish operational excellence metrics at the team level.
- Has a strong understanding of testing and monitoring tools and technologies.
Starting pay for this role will vary based on multiple factors, including location, available budget, and an individual’s knowledge, skills, and experience. Pay ranges may be modified in the future.
Expedia Group is proud to offer a wide range of benefits to support employees and their families, including medical/dental/vision, paid time off, and an Employee Assistance Program. To fuel each employee’s passion for travel, we offer a wellness & travel reimbursement, travel discounts, and an International Airlines Travel Agent (IATAN) membership.View our full list of benefits.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.