Manufacturing Engineer - Winsted, CT
Location: Winsted, Connecticut
Job Type: Not Specified
The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for providing leadership and establishing the lean manufacturing principles that will drive continuous improvement and operational excellence. He or she will oversee kaizen events, continuous improvement plans, project proposals, and operational efficiency goals. This includes providing mentoring, training, and coaching for improvement activities to support the goals and objectives of the business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cultivate site culture by developing awareness and expertise of lean manufacturing concepts and tools at all levels to achieve or exceed safety, quality, cost, and delivery goals.
- Train and coach process owners in the use of lean and statistical tools, approaches, and techniques to create process management and measurement systems and develop an operational excellence mindset at the department level.
- Create and lead a continuous improvement committee. Assist in improvement activities including training, mentoring, facilitating Kaizen events, Six Sigma projects, tool deployment, benchmarking, etc.
- Conduct Lean Six Sigma assessments and identify performance gaps as well as deploy 5S culture. Implement tools such as: visual factory, value stream mapping, standard work, work instructions, process capability, pareto analysis, SMED, and training best practices.
- Deliver cost productivity improvements by managing projects focused on cost reduction, sourcing, and VA/VE.
- Provide technical support to operations in the areas of equipment, layout, tools, fixtures and machines to ensure low-cost/high-quality products and develop proposals to incorporate new technology where appropriate.
- Recommend the acquisition or disposal of machinery or equipment in accordance with current and projected production requirements as well as coordinate with Engineering to modify or relocate machinery or equipment to improve production efficiencies.
- Travel may be required up to 10% of the time.
Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience within a continuous improvement function or in a manufacturing environment.
- Prior experience with managing people.
- SAP business system experience.
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable with large audience public speaking.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly motivated individual that can work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams.
- Strong time management skills.
- Able to handle multiple and conflicting priorities.
- Strong computer and software skills, able to utilize new technologies.
- Green Belt or Black Belt Certification in LEAN Six Sigma (preferred but not required).
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.