Sr. Manufacturing Engineer - Shelton, CT
Location: Shelton, Connecticut
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Complete a wide range of technical assignments which include developing new manufacturing methods and processes, providing input on tooling and machine designs, develop cost estimates and plant layouts, implementing cost improvement projects and managing plant environmental and regulatory compliance programs. The position interfaces directly with Manufacturing, Engineering, Marketing, Purchasing, Production Control, Quality, and Accounting to implement the division’s technical objectives as they apply to the manufacturing operation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Perform all of the activities and duties of a Manufacturing Engineer including the development and preparation of equipment specifications, major tool procurements, performance requirements, cost analyses, and major proposals for integrating new technology into the manufacturing environment. Provide engineering support to assigned areas of the manufacturing plant. Support will include but is not limited to dispositions of rejects, preparation of method deviations and analysis of process problems related to material, methods, or machines.
- Analyze, recommend and implement process improvements that improve quality and reduce manufacturing costs. Emphasis is on justification of major capital equipment expenditures.
- On assigned Product Development Projects, interface regularly with the Design Engineering group to advise and assist with regard to product manufacturability during all phases of product concept, design, and costing. Provide practical feedback on design and redesigns through active participation in concept/design reviews and team meetings. Compile product and tooling cost estimates for stage approval in accordance with Project Management System.
- Develop and document manufacturing methods, tooling and equipment for new and modified product lines.
- Direct initial production run of assigned projects, to include operator training, work station layout, verification and documentation of prescribed manufacturing methods, and establish production standards.
- Review engineering change notices for manufacturing process changes.
- Provide manufacturing input to Safety Committee (SAC), Customer Service, Marketing, QC and Purchasing.
- Develop new and/or modified manufacturing methods, tooling, and equipment to minimize cost and maximize productivity for all product lines, new and existing. Following good Lean practices recommend process, material, and part changes in keeping with these goals. Make recommendations as appropriate for tool and process changes aimed at improving overall efficiency and utilization of resources. Request and evaluate quotations from vendors for equipment and services to be purchased, and recommend purchases based on such evaluations.
- Direct pilot production run of assigned projects including developing accurate work instructions, operator training, work station layout, and verification of specified methods.
- Develop proposals and economic justifications for Capital and Expense Equipment and Tooling as related to assigned projects. These proposals shall include justification, specifications, vendor quotes and proposals, and detailed analyses that may be presented in the form of Authorizations for Expenditure (AFE) or less formal internal documentation depending upon the funding requirements.
- Upon management approval of a Capital and/or Expense Equipment and Tooling Proposal, generate practical concepts; assist the selected vendor(s) to ensure proper design, compliance with specifications, installation, and debugging of the equipment.
- Provide ongoing technical support to assigned production areas to resolve production problems related to components, methods, tooling, equipment, and changes of manufacturing location.
- Provide ongoing technical and practical support to assigned production areas to ensure a safe work environment for all employees. Audit existing safety procedures and equipment; recommend and implement improvements; ensure new equipment meets or exceeds acceptable safety levels.
- Provide technical and practical support for Quality Assurance functions including root cause and defect analysis and corrective action implementation.
- Participates in department meetings, seminars, training sessions to stay apprised of new developments, in the field.
Skills and Experience
- B.S. Degree in Manufacturing, Mechanical, Electrical or Industrial Engineering and 5 to 7 years experience in a manufacturing environment. Undergraduate or graduate business courses would be beneficial.
- Demonstrated cost reductions and efficient improvement background
- Interpersonal skills – will interact with all levels of employees and must have the ability to communicate effectively, especially with production employees
- Communicate effectively with domestic and overseas vendors regarding project direction and engineering changes
- Domestic and Foreign Travel is expected with some extended travel required as needed specifically but not limited to North Carolina, Puerto Rico and China.
- Familiar with structure problem solving techniques – a systematic approach to problem solving ie: data collection, data analysis, logical conclusions
- Project management
- Lean & Six Sigma
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.