Senior Controls Engineer - Archdale, NC
Location: Archdale, North Carolina
Job Type: Not Specified
Under the direction of the Engineering Manager, the Control Design Engineer is responsible for interpreting customer drawings and specifications to produce designs for Hubbell Industrial Control Division (ICD) products, meeting or exceeding company production and quality standards, and meeting customer delivery requirements. The Engineer will interact with Applications Engineers, Sales Engineers and customers to design electrical controllers to meet customer application requirements; create engineering documentation for procurement and manufacturing; provide technical guidance to production personnel as appropriate; witness tests of controller performance to ensure application requirements are met and provide manufacturing support for other Hubbell products as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Designs that meet engineering standards, applicable codes, customer specifications within cost and schedule constraints.
- Ensure conformance to various industry standards (NEMA, UL508A, CSA, etc.) and company standards for quality and manufacturability.
- Create and maintain electrical schematics, design layouts, and production drawings using CAD tools.
- Evaluate and select components and parts for the products.
- Function as technical resource addressing questions and resolving problems for the manufacturing floor and external customers.
- Participate on cross-functional teams to ensure continuous improvement.
- Enter and maintain material master data and assembly BOMs using business application (SAP).
- Process sales orders and release notices through engineering using business application (SAP).
- Process engineering change notices and revisions utilizing company procedures and forms.
- Generate reports relevant to product design, quality and testing.
- Set up and perform electrical power and mechanical tests to verify product performance.
Skills and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Education and/or Experience: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology and a minimum of three years of related experience.
- Language Skills : Ability to read and interpret documents such as technical specifications, professional journals, and blueprints. Ability to write reports and documentation. Ability to communicate effectively with vendors, customers and other employees of the organization.
- Laboratory Skills : Ability to plan, set up, and perform laboratory tests to verify electrical and mechanical performance of electro-mechanical switching equipment. Ability to interpret results and write reports.
- DC and AC Motor Control Skills : VFD programming and drive set up as well as induction motor control is required. Experience in DC series and shunt motor controls and AC wound-rotor motor is desirable. Ability to design control panels and systems for AC and DC motor applications based on customer requirements.
- Mathematical Skills : Ability to apply mathematics such as geometry, trigonometry, college level algebra and statistics to concepts such as electromagnetics, circuitry analysis, AC and DC motors and AC and DC drive systems.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency with AutoCAD design tools, familiarity with AutoCAD Electrical and 3D Modeling software desired. Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach above shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move drawings, files, parts, components, and manuals weighing up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
4301 Cheyenne Dr, Archdale, NC 27263
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.