Sr. New Product Design Engineer - Birmingham, AL
Location: Leeds, Alabama
Job Type: Not Specified
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
As a Sr. New Product Design Engineer, with focus on Medium-High Voltage connectors, you will lead and participate in New Product Development for distribution, substation, transmission and communication market products. You will also lead the commercialization process of new products from idea generation through product launch, and will lead design to value projects for medium and high voltage connectors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work independently, or with other engineers to develop/design new products from concept to full production using 3D CAD software (Autodesk Inventor).
- Work with marketing team members to assess customer feedback and align customer feedback to product development.
- Design products to be in conformance with all necessary agency standards (ANSI, IEEE, IEC, NEMA, Telcordia, etc).
- Manage multiple design projects simultaneously. Working within cross-functional teams. Report project status as needed to management and take appropriate actions to maintain project schedules.
- Produce full engineering documentation including solid models, detailed engineering drawings, bills of materials, performance specifications and test reports.
- Redesign products for improved function, cost reductions and sustainability initiatives.
- Assist in tooling and manufacturing process choices. Disposition first article inspection reports.
- Plan and secure necessary certification approvals for new and revised products (ANSI, IEEE, IEC, NEMA, Telcordia, etc).
- Conduct design for manufacturability events.
- Coordinate and perform experiments to test and verify product design.
- Assist in troubleshooting and root cause failure analysis for product enhancement.
- Attend seminars and conferences to be up-to-date on connector technology
Skills and Experience
- BS or MS in Mechanical, Materials, or Electrical Engineering
- Strong experience in part/product design Engineering
- Experience and knowledge in testing and/or product development.
- Strong mechanical design background using strength of materials
- MS in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Experience in FEA, Solid Modeling (Autodesk Inventor), and rapid prototyping
- Experience in Sand Cast, Permanent Mold/Gravity Die Casting and Plastic Injection Molded Part Design
- Demonstrated project management experience would be helpful
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.