Deductions Manager - Solon, OH
Location: Solon, Ohio
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
The Deductions Manager is responsible for designing and overseeing the day-to-day operations of a team of offshore resources focused on researching, validating and taking appropriate accounting actions for customer initiated payment variances received through routine A/R transactions. The role takes corporate objectives and plans and designs processes that assign, monitor and manages pending work in a manner that is cost effective and provides timely, accurate results. Works closely with the Collections team to resolve invalid deductions and interfaces regularly with other teams within Hubbell, responsible for accounting, pricing, tax, distribution, and all other facets of customer service. Builds a “trusted advisor” reputation of their team and themselves to internal stakeholders. A key component of success is creating meaningful goals and objectives for the offshore resources based on corporate objectives, while at the same time actively listening to customers, offshore team input and other Hubbell employees needs and concerns and advocating for a balanced plan that delivers results for all. This position is responsible for making sure the offshore team understands, acts and delivers on objectives, that Hubbell Inc. is compliant with applicable rules and regulations and results are delivered cost effectively. Building solid working relationships with stakeholders at all levels, in and out of Hubbell will be required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as key leader in developing and maintaining deductions processes and policies.
- Solicits industry best practices and incorporates that into deductions processes and policies, including providing ideas and proposals on strategic changes designed to meet objectives.
- May participate in recruiting, hiring and training/development of people leaders and individual contributors.
- Collaborates with collections function to prioritize deductions work and resolve invalid deductions.
- Collaborates with sales, distribution, customer service and other Hubbell functions to address situations that require advanced coordination and relationship building to facilitate resolution of deductions.
- Reviews and approves recommendations regarding situations not clearly defined in operating policies and procedures.
- Establishes processes and controls over work assignment and goal setting.
- Regularly reports to stakeholders the performance of accounts, groups of accounts, or enterprise deductions in a manner appropriate for the audience.
- Reviews, approves and oversees distribution of deductions related reporting, meets with stakeholders, explains results and translates needs into action.
- Participates in the selection, assessment, justification, design and implementation of 3rd party vendor solutions in deductions functions as needed.
- Monitors performance and relevance of 3rd party vendors utilized in deductions functions, including the support of negotiating for service levels and cost.
- Maintains close relations with sales, finance, IT and accounting staff through regular contact and education (including training meetings, WebEx seminars, and in-person meetings and reporting/analysis tasks.)
- May participate with sales team on customer site visits or calls to better understand situations or explain Hubbell positions with regard to accounts receivable processes.
- Domestic and International travel will be required 5-10% of time
Skills and Experience
- Bachelors Degree
- 7+ Years in a large organization ($500 Million annual sales or more) commercial collections or deductions function.
- 2+ Years in a formal leadership capacity in an accounts receivable function, preferably overseeing deductions.
- Preferred Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or equivalent work experience
- Familiarity with large-scale ERP systems and its corresponding A/R components
- Familiarity with reporting tools, preferably including the design of reporting of deductions performance data including high-level dashboard summary views (Data Visualization tool use a plus, such as MS PowerBI or Tableau.)
- Ability to use MS Office programs at an intermediate level (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.)
- Proficient at preparing and presenting presentations in person or via WebEx.
- Strong negotiation skills – in customer or vendor situations.
- Functional understanding of deductions impact on reporting of A/R balances and associated mitigating strategies to separate apparent liabilities from A/R assets.
- Functional understanding of SOX / Audit compliance, controls and necessary reporting.
- Demonstrated experience training others in deductions, finance and/or accounting roles.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.