Senior Collections Specialist - Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
701 Millenium Blvd, Greenville, SC 29607
The Senior Collections Specialist role is responsible for maintaining relations with internal and external customers while at the same time seeking to influence payments from customers according to corporate goals and objectives. The role interfaces with various internal teams (customer service, sales, as examples) in an effort to resolve and understand processes which may cause a customer to not to pay to terms and to creatively determine steps that can be taken to resolve those issues. Through the use of portfolio reporting the role creates work plans tailored to the needs of the stakeholders and then follows-through to deliver results in line with expectations. The role serves as a subject matter expert in Accounts Receivable and understands how systems and processes come together to meet the financial needs of the company. Individuals will be great communicators: verbal and written, very organized: great note-taker and scheduler of follow-up activities, and adept at de-escalating stressful situations. This senior role will have training responsibilities for others in the team as well as the expectation of handling more complex situations (accounts and workload) and working with less supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors a complex portfolio of accounts to assess receivables condition and prioritize work according to objectives.
- Performs account analysis to identify trends, problems and root causes of ongoing issues and outlines solution plans to improve the situation for both Hubbell and the customer.
- Creates weekly work plan to include customer calls, e-mails and correspondence based on account status; executes said plan and is able to document progress towards said plan via account notes and status updates to supervisor or manager.
- Leads and organizes customer, team or cross-functional meetings designed to solve problems, improve processes or deliver training.
- Negotiates within assigned scope of authority, individually or as part of a team, to resolve problems with favorable outcomes for Hubbell and the customer.
- Performs account reconciliations, daily credit hold/releases, monthly statement and/or dunning letter processing, recommendations for bad debt write-offs and suggesting accounts for credit limit reviews.
- Handles accounts with complex support needs, such as EDI based transaction processing, international multi-currency accounts or support of 1st party outsourced collections activities.
- Responds to customer inquiries on accounts regarding billing discrepancies or payment disputes.
- Performs account maintenance activities, resolving short-pays, chargebacks, credit memos and payment application issues.
- Works closely with credit function and may assist in evaluating credit, handling customer bankruptcy situations or other credit/risk analysis duties as assigned.
- May assist the supervisor/manager in hiring, scheduling.
Skills and Experience
- 2 – 4 years of commercial credit and/or collections experience
- 4 years of applicable experience in an office environment, particularly in an accounting or customer service role, OR, equivalent higher education (AA degree or higher)
- 4-year degree in accounting or business-related field preferred
- Demonstrated ability to use MS Office Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) at an intermediate level.
- Demonstrated success in a goal driven work environment.
- Experience working with IT in support of AR (requirements gathering, testing, problem shooting) is preferred.
- Familiarity with a large-scale, enterprise accounting or CRM system (such as SAP or Oracle)
- Familiarity with Internet based e-commerce and search/research tools (such as UPS, FedEx, Google and/or Bing.)
- Familiarity with various electronic transaction methods with customers, including EDI, web-based procurement portals (Ariba or custom web based), and ACH/CTX.
- Ability to use basic office equipment: Fax, scan, copy, phone and 10-key.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.