Mechanical Design Engineer - LeRoy, NY
Location: Le Roy, New York
Job Type: Not Specified
The Mechanical Design Engineer will develop new products and enhance current products such as high voltage bushings. The engineer will also work on developing 3D drawings and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) models for the products. The engineer will work directly with customers and vendors, as well as internal marketing, engineering and operations staff to ensure the company’s key metrics are met. BS degree in Mechanical engineering or related fields is required. Level will be determined based on qualification.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform assigned new product development projects of high-voltage bushings and related products
- Design new and engineered-to-order products, calculate electrical and mechanical, or thermal values, and check/approve design documents including drawings
- Guide and lead technicians in mechanical/thermal tests and other assigned product tests
- Develop 3D drawings and FEM models for the products
- Participate in the diagnosis of testing equipment issues
- Participate in quality assurance activities and projects
- Participate in factory process review, and present & implement ideas for costing savings and productivitiesWork with vendors and the component designs and new materials
- Conduct root failure analysis with or without customers, and write technical reports electronically
- Use commercial software to evaluate product
- Work with customers directly by video, email or phone, or through Marketing on specification review, product recommendation, and testing troubleshooting.
- Visit domestic and international customers, factories, buildings and substations.
- Provide technical presentations to customers online from office or in-person at customers’ sites
- Participate in national standard meetings and represent the company in professional societies such as IEEE and CSA.
- Work with corporate on different initiatives such as Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DFMA).
- Ability to travel on business related trips (limited travel needs); ability to communicate fluently in English; ability to work on a personal computer or other related equipment as required; able to walk around the manufacturing shop floor and lift 40 pounds as needed (part inspection, part fit check, product testing, etc.)
Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3 to 5+ years of experience in engineering design or related work.
- Must be a team player and work under minimal supervision
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
- Must possess strong analytical skills and good writing skills in technical reports
- Must be able to read blueprints/engineering drawings.
- Must be able to use both English and metric units interchangeably.
- Must be familiar with MS Office software such as WORD, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Experience with Computer-aided design & analysis software such as Solidworks, AutoCAD, Inventor etc., is a plus.
- Deep understanding of FEM (finite element method) and experience with software such as Ansys, Solidworks, or Comsol is a plus. Demonstration of the work performed is helpful.
- Must be willing to travel up to 10%, both domestic and international, and at times, on short notice.
**Compensation will be based on experience and qualifications and will be discussed during the interview process. The salary range for this role is $75,000-$100,000 per year. This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.