Commercial Operations (ComOps) Leader Hubbell Site Flexible - St. Louis, MO
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Hubbell Utility Solutions (HUS) engages in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of products used by utilities. Today, HUS is also deeply engaged in product solutions for the Utility Communications and Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) space and has been actively growing that segment of the business. HUS roots have historically been in high voltage transmission, distribution, substation, underground products used by electric utilities. HUS products are also used in the civil construction, transportation, gas, and water industries.
HUS has four business units. Hubbell Power Systems (HPS) is our electrical components and infrastructure business. Aclara is our AMI and Meters business and also includes an installation business. Hubbell Gas Connectors and Accessories (HGCA) sells connectors and accessories for the repair, replacement and refurbishment of natural gas systems. Our fourth business is our Protection and Controls business which is our newest business initiative to drive substation communications, control and protection solutions. HUS provides these solutions in the Electric Utility, Water, Gas and Communications Market.
At HUS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of principled integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers. Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
This is a hybrid position that has the flexibility to work from home and one of the Hubbell offices.
The Commercial Operations (ComOps) Leader is responsible for the management of risk processes in the commercial phase, including risk review and approval, and overall engagement with the proposal generation process and commercial negotiations, to ensure commercial intensity & compliance to the HUS Risk Management process is utilized. This role ensures proper risk management throughout the deal lifecycle, while closely aligning to customer CTQs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build & operate Risk Review sessions to drive early engagement, strategy development and approvals with region & product teams as well as Operations, and supporting functions (legal, finance, tax, supply chain, etc), ensuring leadership alignment at all levels to obtain necessary decisions timely
- Review and redline customer terms and conditions (T&Cs) and other commercial documents while working with Legal and other functions to understand and mitigate risks associated with opportunities.
- Lead customer negotiations from Commercial Standpoint, ensuring an acceptable risk profile for HUS, given the specific scope of supply and deal dynamics; engage with approvers and subject-matter experts as necessary
- Own the ComOps and respective risk process, including the use of tools and ensuring development of consistent Risk register both Commercial & Technical as necessary and drives mitigation Plan strategies with the different steak holders.
- Steer sales and tendering teams in quality assurance of proposal build including risk and approval management as well as a proper transition to Order management team.
- Work closely with the Sales teams as a key partner in the strategy development to create winning proposals and meeting or exceeding the business’ plan for orders, and financial KPIs
- Ensure seamless hand-over of POs/signed contracts to Order management
- Drive empowerment through localization of T&Cs, functional expertise across region, and people capability development
- Support design and drive implementation of proposal standards and use of CRM tools to better track performance of team.
- Support and drive change management process to challenge current commercial processes, in order to reduce cycle times & costs, improve service quality & mitigation plans and define the appropriate pricing and commercial strategy
- Interface with all functions across regions and products such as Sales, Legal, Finance professional Services, etc to enhance successful commercial strategies and solutions
- Maintain knowledge of market trends, customer requirements, competitor actions and customer base; interface with internal and external customers, identify customer needs
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Legal, Engineering or related area from an accredited university or college
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in Commercial Operations, contract management, sales, tendering, bid management and/or project management role Strong team player, results driven, customer focused.
- Excellent communication, influence, and presentation skills.
- Is well organized, structured and methodical.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat as they relate to job usage.
- Ability to navigate and manipulate CRMs (SFDC, SAP, JD Edwards, etc)
- Strong didactical contractual & negotiation skills
- Knowledge of utilities, electrical & water meter data transmission and distribution projects or utilities projects
- Ability to influence and lead cross functional teams
- Previous experience in the Utilities industry
- Experience in developing complex proposals or structuring complex deals
- In-depth knowledge of contractual terms and conditions; experience in structuring and negotiating contracts to minimize business risk
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Self-sufficiency and ability to program manage
- Ability to think strategically and be operationally rigorous
- Change agent with strong business acumen
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.