Principal RF Design Engineer - Solon, OH
Location: Solon, Ohio
Job Type: Not Specified
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
At Aclara Technologies LLC, a division of Hubbell Utility Solutions (HUS), we help utilities manage change, seek new approaches, and harness data and new technologies to supply more efficient and reliable services to their customers. As an end-to-end, smart infrastructure solutions (SIS) partner we couple innovative technology with data-driven solutions to predict, plan and respond to system conditions across electric, gas or water distribution networks.
We offer a comprehensive suite of solutions comprised of meters and edge devices, advanced metering infrastructure (AMI), cloud native and meter data management solutions. We also offer advanced grid monitoring and grid analytics, asset management and field project management and installation solution, and provision of labor with a single point of accountability to utilities. Our cloud native industrial IoT and predictive analytics solutions give our customers actionable insights with real-time visibility of their distribution networks to optimize operations and engage with their consumers to promote energy efficiency and conservation. Join us on this journey in providing smart infrastructure solutions and helping our customers deal with today’s and tomorrow’s complex challenges. (See more at www.Aclara.com)
Responsible for the development and design of advanced Radio Frequency (RF) products for the AMI / Smart Grid industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work in a strong team environment with innovators to achieve the best possible end product from all functional viewpoints.
- Serve as the RF/EMC technical leader and resource to synthesize design inputs from various stakeholders and implement RF solutions.
- Serve as the EMC technical leader and resource to all groups ensuring EMC is addressed throughout the development and life of the product.
- Active participant in review of requirements, design, test plans, procedures and reports related to EMC.
- Work with Systems Engineering and Product Management to define overall system design and performance targets.
- Generate and own documentation detailing systems RF HW specifications and requirements
- Be responsible for antenna and other RF chain components that create optimal RF performance across full system.
- Generate BOMs, schematics, RF block diagrams, test procedures and power consumption analyses
- Develop and implement strategies and procedures to validate RF system performance against requirements.
- Monitor, evaluate and incorporate new concepts, discoveries and industry advances into products.
- Ensure that all designs meet requirements of governing agencies such as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Industry Canada (IC).
- Responsible for identifying process and technology improvements
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s of Science in Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree.
- At least 10 years’ experience in high volume electronic products industry.
- Experience and technical capabilities:
- Software defined radio design
- Low power RF circuit design
- PLL (Phase Locked Loop) circuit design
- VCO (Voltage Control Oscillator) design
- RF amplifier design
- RF filter and matching design
- Modulation and demodulation design
- Receiver design using LNA (Low Noise Amplifiers)-down converters
- RF measurements
- Antenna design
- Link budget analysis
- Thorough understanding of EMC sources, transmission and susceptibility mechanisms, and mitigation through Hardware, Mechanical and Firmware design
- Diagnosis of RF/EMC issues via circuit and layout analysis, localized bench test, screen room and test chamber use.
- Pre-compliance testing
- Advanced knowledge of FCC (Federal Communication Commission) part 90, part 15, Industry Canada standards and regulations for licensed and ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medical) band products.
- Ability to develop and translate leading-edge designs into high volume / low-cost production; including technology watch, product design specification, feasibility evaluation and validity testing.
- Competent working with Microsoft Office and other related software utilizing a Windows platform.
- Highly Preferred – Cellular Data Communication; Modules, Antennas, and Configuration
- Master’s degree with a focus on RF and/or Antenna development.
- Experience with BLE, GPS, and Wi-Fi
- Experience with the AMI industry
- Experience with battery powered RF devices
- Experience and technical capabilities:
- Analog design of high speed A/D (Analog/Digital)
- Digital signal processing
- Switch mode power supply RF design
- Mobile Transceiver Design/overall Receiver Architecture
- Propagation tool
- Capacity (traffic) planning
- Site/Network optimization
- Matlab, ADS, Spectrasys, and Python experience
- CST and/or HFSS
- Serve as technical lead for RF team
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.