Tax Intern (Summer 2023) - Shelton, CT
Location: Shelton, Connecticut
Job Type: Not Specified
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
The Hubbell Summer Internship Program is a 12-week program providing students the opportunity to gain corporate experience, learn about all aspects of our business, and prepare students with the kind of experience needed to have a rewarding career at Hubbell.
Tax Interns will typically support one or more experienced Finance/Accounting teams in performance of assignments, spend time shadowing actual operations, and have unique assignments that support larger projects as well as the day-to-day operations of the Finance and/or Accounting department. Interns may perform and/or participate in additional activities/events which will help them build a strong network within the Hubbell community.
The Tax Intern will report directly to the Manager of Tax Planning and will have an opportunity to collaborate with all tax team members. The candidate needs to demonstrate curiosity, ability to think broadly, and willingness to learn new topics.
Benefits of a Hubbell Internship
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- End of summer presentation to the local management team
Duties and Responsibilities
Roles and Responsibilities will vary by Hubbell business location, but may include the following:
- Gained knowledge of the industry as it pertains to the Hubbell business location
- Experience in planning and organizational skills
- Review current program activities to make recommendations for changes/improvement opportunities
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Research US federal, international, state, and local tax legislation and regulatory guidance;
- Analyze tax issues relating to domestic and international transactions, and reorganizations;
- Draft and review transaction memos, research and analyze the latest developments in U.S. tax legislation;
- Assist with drafting global transfer pricing report;
- Maintain and improve tax filing processes and procedures;
- Assist tax due diligence related to credit and incentives, state tax nexus, etc. to identify potential tax risk and opportunities;
- Coordinate on a variety of matters with tax compliance, tax accounting, and with other non-tax department stakeholders.
Skills and Experience
- Student must be enrolled in an accredited university working towards a Juris Doctor Degree with a background in Tax, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, or related degree.
- Current first, second, or third year law student preferred (1L/2L/3L)
- Basic understanding of accounting and finance principles
- Strong interest to learn about Federal, State and International Corporate Taxation
- Ability to multi-task, think independently and problem solve in a result driven team-oriented environment;
- Strong Excel and excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.