Technical Support Engineering Coordinator
Location: Solon, Ohio, St. Louis, Missouri
Job Type: Not Specified
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
Hubbell Utility Solutions (HUS) engages in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of products used by utilities. Today, HUS is also deeply engaged in product solutions for the Utility Communications and Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) space and has been actively growing that segment of the business. HUS roots have historically been in high voltage transmission, distribution, substation, underground products used by electric utilities. HUS products are also used in the civil construction, transportation, gas, and water industries.
HUS has four business units. Hubbell Power Systems (HPS) is our electrical components and infrastructure business. Aclara is our AMI and Meters business and also includes an installation business. Hubbell Gas Connectors and Accessories (HGCA) sells connectors and accessories for the repair, replacement and refurbishment of natural gas systems. Our fourth business is our Protection and Controls business which is our newest business initiative to drive substation communications, control and protection solutions. HUS provides these solutions in the Electric Utility, Water, Gas and Communications Market.
At HUS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of principled integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers. Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
30400 Solon Road, Solon OH 44139 or 77 West Port Plaza, Ste 500, St. Louis, MO 63146
To engage with Aclara's Customers in the water, gas and electric utility space to optimize Customer experience, operate as a Center of Excellence and realize success with our products. The primary performance indicator is meeting customer service-level agreements by communicating with Aclara Customers on their support cases opened via all communication channels (including Customer portal, phone, and e-mail). A successful Aclara Technical Support Engineer develops and maintains a deep understanding of the capabilities and operation of Aclara's proprietary products to resolve immediate Customer issues or escalate according to procedural documentation. A critical component of this position is the ability to synthesize and assess data to understand that every Customer interaction presents an opportunity to foresee and prevent more broad and impactful issues that potentially impact other customers now or in the future. The Aclara Technical Support Engineer will also work to understand various utility business needs and develop innovative solutions using our standard products to satisfy these needs. The support team is committed to treating our Customers as long-term partners. This position is an integral part of that commitment and requires excellent communication skills, the motivation to learn, and the drive to help others succeed - both externally and internally to Aclara.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide end-to-end system support of a single Aclara product line (Head End, Collector, Communication Links, Endpoint, Integrations and Business Processes)
- Develop custom queries and analyze code within SQL Server and Oracle databases to identify and correct unexpected system performance
- Create custom scripts and tasks to provide solutions, temporary software workarounds and gather information used in troubleshooting
- Troubleshoot hardware and firmware issues at design and operational levels.
- Troubleshoot TCP/IP, radio and serial communication links
- Use critical thinking and troubleshooting skills to perform root-cause analyses; use incomplete information to drive issues to resolution
- Utilize Knowledge-Centered Service practices to create and maintain content within Aclara's knowledgebase to drive Customer self-service and reduce employee onboarding.
- Enter and maintain information on Customer issues in Aclara's CRM (including all applicable Hubbell systems)
- Ensure compliance in meeting Aclara’s maintenance agreements through timely response and issue resolution
- Take ownership of Customer issues and provide consistent updates and communication to Customers through resolution
- Understand the audience and communicate technical information to Customers in various utility roles (e.g. field, office, management, executive)
- Work internally with colleagues and management across departments to resolve issues and
- Attend Aclara and Customer-sponsored conferences and events
- Assist customers with on-site support during the initial startup and deployment phase of their systems
- Provide training as necessary to internal and external customers
- The ability to be available 24/7 on-call as-needed and when scheduled
Skills and Experience
- Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering/Technology field.
- Associates Degree in an Engineering/Technology field with two years of related experience.
- Five years of related experience.
- One year of Customer interfacing and technical support experience
- Experience with standard office productivity products such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint; Oracle PL/SQL; UNIX/Linux
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate detailed technical information to an audience with various levels of technical understanding
- Able to meet deadlines and thrive in a constantly changing and fast-paced work environment
- Outgoing, personable, and enjoy working directly with Customers
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively alone as well as part of a team
- General knowledge of the power distribution system
- Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally up to 5% throughout the year, as needed
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.