SQL Hybrid Escalation Engineering (EE)
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Charlotte, North Carolina, Fargo, North Dakota, Irving, Texas, Issaquah, Washington, Redmond, Washington, United States
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us to achieve our mission.
With over 15,000 employees worldwide, the Microsoft Customer Experience and Success (CEnS) organization is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of the Microsoft end-to-end customer experience. This newly expanded organization reflects the Microsoft ambition to be known as a customer experience company, ensuring our Microsoft mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more is enabled by delighting customers and consistently exceeding their expectations in every interaction through a connected customer experience.
Microsoft has a tremendous opportunity to exceed customer expectations and drive greater customer loyalty and trust, which leads to greater satisfaction, retention, and growth. The CEnS organization is looking for people with a passion for delivering customer success to help us build a future where customers come to us, not only because we provide industry-leading products and services, and also because we provide a differentiated and connected customer experience that is rooted in our commitment to delivering on customer outcomes.
Escalation Engineers (EE) investigate and solve critical, complex, and highly technical issues using mostly code-level techniques - like trace and source code analysis, debugging tools, reverse engineering techniques and other sophisticated diagnostic tools. EEs are responsible for driving Product Engineering engagement. They handle highly complex politically charged and financially important cases through collaboration and conflict resolution skills and act as key collaboration point for support teams.
In this role you will become world best in your area of expertise. Besides technical talent, we are looking for people who thrive under challenging circumstances and engage in difficult situations while they learn.
Response and Resolution
- Reviews highly complex issues and contacts customers to understand issue. Ensures customers stay informed as to the status/solution of their issue. Utilizes troubleshooting tools (e.g., debugging) to help resolve customer issues. Supports the business both locally and globally to drive business. Serves as a technical escalation point.
- Resolves highly complex cases and by working on the end-to-end on case resolution. Serves as an escalation point for other engineers to assist in resolving cases. May have to work with product group or engineering team.
- Performs complex product troubleshooting and remediation when needed. Works alongside the development teams to drive incident resolution for configuration, code, or other service deficiencies impacting customers. Analyzes patterns of problems and identifies workflows to optimize support engineering delivery for a team or region level.
- Collaborates on cross-team and cross-product technical issues by working with resources from other groups including support engineering groups, product groups, services team, and account team as needed to resolve complex customer issues.
- Assists in the development of end-to-end readiness programs (e.g., mentoring, leading triages, content creation, brown bag sessions, blogs, quality assurance checks, writes technical articles) for new and existing technology.
- Acts as a trusted advisor to the product group, in a designated discipline or technology, to influence, improve, or propose fixes.
- Contributes to product improvements by filing bugs and design change requests, and recommends potential fixes to validate resolution prior to shipping to customer or production in order to prevent customers from being impacted.
- Reviews diagnostic processes and collaborates to design complete systems that simplify tools automation and eliminate systematic diagnostic issues. Builds automation tools.
- Makes improvements based on feedback provided. Translates feedback and creates processes and workflows for case resolution.
- Leads case triage meetings and/or case discussions to share knowledge with other engineers and develop customer solutions. Takes learnings from triage meetings to communicate readiness needs to manager or readiness team.
- Uses business integration knowledge to influence strategy when engaging with customers, partners, and teams.
- 7+ years technical support, technical consulting experience, or information technology experience OR Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology (IT), or related field AND 5+ years technical support, technical consulting experience, or information technology experience.
- Experience supporting or maintaining complex mission critical database solutions, RDMS technologies, and, or SQL language.
- Strong problem solving, troubleshooting skills, code level debugging within SQL server. Ability to use various data collection tools and methodologies to analyze problems, determine root cause and develop solutions.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Excellent Communication Skills - verbal, listening, and written (including technical writing).
- Excellent understanding of Database concepts and deployments.
- Experience supporting Azure or other cloud-based solutions.
- Microsoft certifications in data platform or Azure technologies.
- Experience troubleshooting distributed solutions.
- Experience troubleshooting Open Source Databases like MySQL, Postgre SQL, etc.,
- Passion for technology, lifelong learning and professional development.
- Deep SQL Server expertise and troubleshooting experience
- Knowledge across product lifecycle from installation to patching to upgrade and how to troubleshoot when any of these go wrong.
- Knowledge across the SQL Server feature set including suite of HA features, performance features, replication, memory-optimization, etc.
- Hands-on experience troubleshooting SQL Server high-availability, performance, and other issues using tools and techniques including but not limited to log analysis (SQL Server errorlog, cluster log, etc.), XE tracing, DMV queries, execution plans, and SSMS GUI (e.g. Activity Monitor, Replication Monitor, etc.).
- Knowledge of SQL Server internals including high-level query optimization, SOS with UMS, storage engine architecture, high-level communication/networking stack, and high-level HA internals (e.g. Always On and FCI)
- Windows OS expertise
- Understanding of processes and threads
- Basic understanding of Windows memory management and scheduling
- Knowledge and basic understanding of various windows components such as COM, DTC, ETW, SCM, VSS, and WMI
- Working knowledge of troubleshooting tools such as PerfMon/Resmon, Sysinternals suite, XPERF/WPR, and similar
- Ability to read and debug both native (C++) and managed (C#) code applications
- Basic knowledge of programming concepts such as concurrency control mechanisms, data structures, OOP concepts, etc.
- Using debugger of choice with either live process or memory dump, ability to print and understand callstacks, switch thread context, navigate local, global, and class member variables, evaluate registers
- Leverage tools such as debuggers, ProcDump, TTD, etc. to collect memory dumps and time-travel traces.
- understand and articulate various application exceptions such as access violations and assertion failures.
The salary for this role in the state of Colorado is between $149,000– $178,800 USD
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.