DC Technician Senior
Location: Wenatchee, Washington
Job Type: Full time
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a Senior Datacenter Technician (SDCT).
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I DCT, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development for all employees and offers trainings and growth opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action!
As a Datacenter Technician, your success will be measured by:
Data Center Operations
- Demonstrates expertise in standard processes and procedures for preparing, installing, performing diagnostics, troubleshooting, replacing, and/or decommissioning equipment, as well as a holistic understanding of the functions of, and interactions between, network and server equipment.
- Provides guidance to other technicians on processes and procedures.
- Proactively shares relevant information to enable efficient workflow and reviews process changes to evaluate impact on service execution and mitigate the impact that changes to their area of work will have on others.
- Ensures compliance with Data Center Services (DCS) business unit and service-level policies, procedures, and deadlines.
- Completes assigned tickets efficiently and in alignment with Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) per task type while meeting or exceeding established Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Coordinates and assigns tasks to other technicians and provides direction as needed to ensure work is appropriately prioritized and meets KPI and SLA targets.
- Delegates hardware installation, deployment, and/or replacement work to technicians; prepares, stages, sets up, and performs startups and shutdowns (e.g., racks, hard drives, switches) according to specific instructions provided via checklists, guides, and standard protocols.
- Performs quality control and takes responsibility for work performed by technicians.;
- Assists and provides guidance to technicians to complete challenging or complex tasks and escalates issues as needed.
- Ensures that technicians are performing post-execution quality checks and verifying that grounding, staging, labeling, and cabling are set up in compliance with safety protocols, deployment standards, and planned Network Design Tasks (NDTs).
- Applies advanced diagnostic and troubleshooting expertise to quickly identify the cause(s) of issues; quickly identifies the cause(s) of issues.
- Decommissions hardware for complex changes and/or systems with complex interactions (e.g., upgrading entire racks) following standard procedures; provides guidance and responds to questions and escalations from technicians to ensure they are informed on answers and solutions; ensures quality execution as defined by organizational standards, coordinates downtime, and keeps relevant stakeholders informed of work status to minimize downstream rework; verifies security compliance for decommissions and processes data-bearing devices for destruction.
- Follows procedures to communicate, report, and escalate incidents to appropriate Microsoft data center operations management units, Technician Leads, engineering leads, and Subject Matter Experts.
- Exercises judgment and discretion to contribute to issue tracking, follow-up, resolution, the overall quality of the service.
- Provides guidance to less experienced technicians around client interaction.
- Maintains an awareness of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) through dashboards and/or monthly performance discussions.
- Demonstrates understanding of cross-functional processes to support partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Trains and mentors technicians through on-the-job training and by providing direct guidance on specific tasks.
Data Center Work Environment
- Attends, conducts, or assists in conducting daily safety briefings, completes required safety training, provides guidance to technicians to facilitate compliance with safety procedures (e.g., equipment use, lifting, electrical hazards, ladder/rolling stair use).
- Promotes a culture of safety and empowers technicians to take action, speak up, and report safety concerns and/or incidents.
- Complies with security and data management procedures and policies and completes required security training.
- Reinforces a positive and effective team environment by sharing information and best practices with others, driving regular team meetings and cross-discipline collaboration, staying apprised of the status of others' work to respond to questions.
- Coordinates, delegates task, and provides guidance to technicians within an assigned shift to support execution of assigned work by established service and operational level agreements (SLA/OLAs).
- Has pride and a sense of accountability for the service quality, completeness, and resulting user experience; displays accountability and ownership of the data center facilities; ensures high quality hand-offs of work to other technicians as needed.
- Learns the client’s business and maintains a strong client focus to understand the impact of their work when completing tickets and assigned tasks.
- Embody our culture and values
Microsoft reviews all applications that meet the below Qualifications:
For this role, you are welcome to apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent and basic knowledge of computer hardware and components
- 2+ years’ experience supporting IT equipment or related technology.
- Ability to work 12 hours shifts, including shift assignments during non-standard business hours that may include evening, nighttime, weekends, and/or holidays.
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- Associate degree in Computer Science or other field and/or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years’ experience supporting IT equipment or related technology.
- 2+ years’ experience working in a production, mission-critical 24x7x365 datacenter environment.
- Applicable certifications: ASICS/Inventory Control, CompTIA (A+, Server+, Network+), Basic Structure Cabling (BSC), Data Center Foundation Certification (DCFC), Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Vendor-Specific Network Certifications.
*This role is required to be onsite at the Data Center during scheduled work hours
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.