Datacenter - Senior Director, Mechanical Engineer
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Dallas, Texas, Houston, Texas, Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO&I) is the team behind the cloud. Within CO&I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects. We are looking for a passionate, high-energy individual to help build the cloud datacenters that power the world’s largest online services.
The successful candidate will fulfill a technical leadership role for Microsoft as a global datacenter mechanical subject matter expert (SME). This role will involve supporting Microsoft’s datacenter program and projects globally. The successful candidate will be required to lead and direct internal DCE subject matter experts and external consultants. This role will also require deep knowledge in the design and coordination of the mechanical systems, associated controls and overall topology.
- Provide consistent and strong team leadership with excellent communication, and with a high level of organization.
- Chair weekly meetings with your team to set direction and align priorities.
- Develop presentations and communicate frequently with senior leadership on strategic direction and technical subject matter.
- Develop and continually improve existing processes and procedures.
- Deliver success through empowerment and accountability by modeling, coaching and caring.
- Work cross functionally with multiple stakeholders to deliver and continually improve Microsofts’s overall Mechanical design approach.
- Effectively work with other technical and non-technical groups in a fast-paced environment and facilitate cross-group collaboration and stakeholder alignment.
- Exhibit personal integrity with a methodical and detail-oriented work ethic.
The ideal candidate will be a Mechanical Professional Engineer with expertise in datacenter HVAC engineering. A team player able to work in a multi-disciplined engineering team designing Microsoft Datacenters globally and possessing the skills to work in a fast-paced multi-project environment. The ideal candidate is knowledgeable in network topologies and communication protocols for both PLC and DDC controls systems. Having a firm understanding of the electrical distribution system design and monitoring requirements for mission critical applications, along with mechanical system sequence of operation requirements and monitoring of all Datacenter HVAC control systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience dealing with complex mechanical engineering systems in HVAC (Datacenters, Micro Electronics are two examples).
- Professional Engineer in Mechanical Engineering.
- Deep understanding of HVAC load calculations and psychometrics.
- Thorough knowledge of building codes and regulations.
- Ability to lead teams of internal and external engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large datacenter environments.
- Candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and maintain high quality standards, including technical report writing.
- Able to travel domestically and internationally.
- Ability to present using the MS office suite; MS word, MS excel and MS PowerPoint
- AutoCAD, REVIT & BIM capability
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security background screening requirements. These requirements currently include, but may change, and are not limited to:
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Microsoft Cloud Screen Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Screen background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter while in this role.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.