Principal Engineering Manager
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) team builds and operates Microsoft datacenters, which in turn power Microsoft’s cloud business. We anticipate and provide capacity for continuous scale. The CO+I Engineering team (CO+IE) delivers services, applications, and automation supporting datacenter planning, construction, and operation. We own a large portfolio of services, including workflows that enable predicable, lowest cost datacenter construction, telemetry systems that drive high availability and optimized energy usage, and task and performance management applications that help our operation run as efficiently as possible. CO+I Engineering is a competitive advantage for Microsoft, and an important pillar in its cloud success.
Our core infrastructure is a target for cyber criminals and nation-state adversaries that seek to bring harm to our businesses, customers, and staff. The Security & Technology Shared Services team is focused on delivering security and technology services across the datacenter delivery lifecycle. In this role you will drive positive security outcomes by leading the end-to-end delivery of large-scale security solutions responsible for security Microsoft Datacenters globally.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
The Datacenter Security, EHS, and 3rd Party Platform Engineering team is seeking a motivated, talented, Security Engineering leader and security subject matter expert focused on delivering physical security services that defend and protect people, data, and assets at Microsoft Datacenters.
Balancing the needs of the business, you will work across divisions to drive consensus around and provide the technical vision, thought leadership, and create documentation, visualizations, or other artifacts to drive clarity, consensus, and alignment on that vision. You will be focused on defining and creating security services, specifying control improvements, and assisting with driving them to implementation. This role partners across global datacenter engineering and operations, and multiple security & compliance organizations to deliver physical security services and process improvements.
A successful candidate will possess a range of experience in architecting and designing large-scale physical security systems implementations and have experience aligning multiple stakeholders to work towards shared outcomes. The candidate will need to establish partnerships with key engineering teams, stakeholders, and other dependencies to architect and deliver positive security outcomes at a global scale.
Candidates must possess strong written and verbal communication skills with an ability to speak and present effectively to all levels of business and be willing to jump into any situation to help provide support, clarity, technical leadership, and oversight as needed to the 24x7x365 engineering team. Candidate’s must have the ability to work within and continuously improve an engineering lifecycle and manage delivery via Azure DevOps (ADO) to create items that support tracking of project, operational, and architectural deliverables.
- 7+ years of experience in software development lifecycle, large-scale computing, modeling, cyber security, anomaly detection, Security Operations Center (SOC) detection, threat analytics, security incident and event management (SIEM), and information technology (IT) operations OR Master's Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or related field.
- 3+ years of people management experience in leading information security professionals
- 5+ years of experience with managing physical access control systems in an enterprise environment
- Ability to balance competing demands for resources and adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to manage, prioritize and successfully execute multiple concurrent workstreams.
- Proven ability to apply clear critical thinking in complex, stressful situations.
- Ability to escalate, report and engage as needed to ensure a project is delivered as needed across teams.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- 9+ years of experience in software development lifecycle, large-scale computing, modeling, cyber security, and anomaly detection OR Doctorate in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years of people management experience in leading information security professionals
- 2+ years leading a security function (e.g., Security Operations Center [SOC], threat and vulnerability management [TVM]).
- 2+ years of experience leading multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience working with critical infrastructure systems or facilities at a global scale.
- CISSP, CISA, CISM, SANS, GCIA, GCIH, OSCP, and/or Security+ certification.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.