Regional Commissioning Manager – AMERS Tented West
Location: Redmond, Washington, San Antonio, Texas
Job Type: Full time
The CO+I Commissioning team is responsible for managing the end-to-end delivery of new data center capacity for CO+I. Through development of leading program management and construction processes, this team is chartered with managing workflow across vertically and horizontally aligned project managers and virtual-teams to successfully deliver multi-million dollar, multi-year data center construction programs. As a Regional Commissioning manager, you will work with data center architects, engineers, construction managers, network engineers, data center operations teams and finance teams to streamline and improve delivery of data center capacity. You will execute against scope, schedule, and budget to deliver the latest generation of datacenter technology to Microsoft’s Online Services. You shall be responsible for ensuring that the project is commissioned in accordance with Microsoft's standards and directly manage the Commissioning process for Government projects in the US Region and support other Commissioning Projects in other Regions.
The ideal candidate will have experience in a team environment, experience running, designing, and Commissioning enterprise scale services and platforms, technical depth in cloud platforms, with deep understanding of the interactions of the Critical infrastructure. In addition, this position requires an individual who can demonstrate the ability to ensure highly resilient and scalable service designs through partnership with other members of the service team.
- Act as a Safety Leader during the Acceptance & Operations phase and drive the safety culture through the organization.
- Empower a culture of safety, security, and compliance in all aspects of datacenter construction, commissioning & operations.
- Development & maintain the global and regional strategy for the testing and commissioning of the Datacenter equipment and mission critical systems.
- Standardize the Commissioning Process through Automation and drive improvements into the Commissioning Program to deliver higher Safety and Quality while reducing Schedule and Cost.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Reports to the CO+I Regional Commissioning Director.
- Primary responsibility for US region Government commissioning projects with a secondary responsibility for all other CO+I commissioning projects.
- Create and/or maintain best practices to identify and incorporate quality and cost-effective solutions.
- Manage the contracted Commissioning Agent assigned to a Data Center construction Projects in AMERS region.
- Development of Commissioning Procedures and Standards.
- This role requires travel to our project sites across AMERS region.
- Regularly reviews Construction Progress, QA/QC, Commissioning progress, issues, and KPI metrics to report to management.
- Coordinate meetings and activities of vendor project managers including integration of lessons learned.
- Manage client representatives and partners to define and align on scope, schedule, and budget.
- Attend scheduled owner/architect/contractor (OAC) and other project meetings, and report as necessary.
- Report Project Progress on scope, schedule, and budget weekly or as required.
- Responsible for developing, managing, and reporting on scope, schedule of the Commissioning Process for CO+I Projects.
- Manage the Commissioning process for AMERS region Projects.
- Reporting of the Commissioning process to management on a regular basis.
- Work independently in support of the CO+I Program.
Strategy and Development
- Manage data center commissioning project delivery strategy in alignment with the CO+I road map strategy.
- Refines practices/policies and develops methods/techniques for driving solutions including development of commissioning procedures.
- Provides input to long-term delivery strategy and incorporates requirements into the project execution plans.
Vendor Management and contract compliance
- Provide Vendor oversight and performance management (Scorecard driven).
- Preparation of RFP's, PER's, and other project approval tools & templates.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Construction QA/QC
- Project Management
- Data Center Operation and Maintenance
- Understanding of UPS systems, switchgear, generators and critical mechanical systems
- Able to develop and write detailed Commissioning Scripts
- Issue identification and resolution management
- English Language skills
- Technical writing skills
- Proficiency with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), MS Visio, MS Project
- At least 3 years’ experience in Data Center facility maintenance, operation, construction and/or commissioning
- At least 3 years construction experience with new build projects
- At least 3 years of experience with electrical and mechanical Test Equipment
Preferred, not required:
- Commissioning Certification
- OSHA 10 or equivalent qualification
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- BSEE/BSME, Associate in Engineering Technology or equivalent industry experience
These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.