Senior Technical Program Manager
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers Microsoft's cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating our unified global datacenters; managing the demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and responsible for all of the operations needed to run the physical infrastructure (including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams). We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data driven engineering, cost-effectiveness and environmental sustainability.
We deliver the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform. Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our portfolio is built and managed by a team of subject matter experts working 24/7/365 to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
At the forefront of the action in CO+I is our Critical Environments Hardware and Service Engineering team.
The Critical Environments Systems Intelligence group (CESI) within CEHSE is responsible for establishing global Critical Environment (CE) infrastructure requirements, standards while delivering CE efficiency and optimization programs and projects, that support 24/7/365 mission-critical CE instrumentation infrastructure within Microsoft’s global datacenters.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
CESI is seeking a Senior Technical Program Manager to join our CE Infrastructure team. In close collaboration with peer teams and stakeholders, this role will work with a team of service engineers charged with the design, integration, and operational support for CO+I’s Critical Environment Telemetry systems across all datacenters. The primary accountabilities for the role are managing the distinct services within CESI. This includes defining and meeting Operational SLAs, security mandates, and related post-deployment telemetry service management and sustaining operations. The key areas of responsibility include ensuring the CE telemetry infrastructure meets planned capacity needs for existing and upcoming sites, collaborating to ensure that the associated technology stack meets evolving design, security, and compliance standards, and providing 24/7/365 telemetry infrastructure operational support. This individual will use a growth mindset to develop, foster, and leverage partnerships with CESI engineering teams, peer teams, Datacenter Operations teams, and CO+I teams responsible for the design and delivery of datacenters.
The ideal candidate will possess a range of service management experience including defining operational SLA’s, creating service roadmaps, reporting on monthly service metrics and availability while fostering a continuous improvement mindset. The candidate will work closely with infrastructure architecture in building, managing, and maintaining services. They will also work with Microsoft partners in the evolution of hardware and software features which support Critical Environment work.
- BS in Computer Science, Business, Engineering, or a related field - or equivalent practical/work experience.
- 8 + years’ experience in service management including IT Operations and Lifecycle Management.
- 5 + years’ experience in project/program management.
- MS in Computer Science, Business, Engineering, or a related field - or equivalent practical experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with senior executives and customers. Strong experience influencing with and without authority.
- Prior experience maintaining datacenter Critical Environment systems and applications.
- Certification or working knowledge of continuous improvement paradigms including, but not limited to, Lean / Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt, TQM, etc.
- Working knowledge of vendor support contract terms, conditions, mechanism, and procedures.
- Ability to escalate, report and engage as needed to ensure a project is delivered as needed across teams.
- Certifications in Project Management (PMP, CSM, etc.).
- Service or Quality Management certification in ITIL, ISO, Six Sigma or equivalent work experience.
- Proven history working across teams and managing stakeholders to create lasting relationships that produce valuable outcomes.
- Manage data reporting; strong POWER BI & Kusto dB background is preferred.
- Experience organizing and overseeing the design, engineering, and integration of multiple concurrent, complex solutions, meeting properly planned and funded budget, timeline, features/functionality.
- Demonstrated ability driving the delivery of useful documentation artifacts.
- Ability to balance competing demands for resources and adapt to changing priorities.
- Proven ability to apply clear critical thinking in complex, stressful situations.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.