Campus Cost Manager
Location: Columbia, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Cloud Operations + Innovation (CO+I) is the team behind one of the world’s largest cloud infrastructures, responsible for powering all Microsoft online Products and Services as well as powering Microsoft’s “Cloud First” mission. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for passionate, high energy program managers to help achieve that mission.
Within CO+I, the Infrastructure, Planning and Acquisition team is responsible for supporting delivery of datacenter capacity for Microsoft’s cloud business. We have a portfolio of complex, multi-disciplinary, multi-million, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects with specific safety, quality, schedule, and cost goals.
To help us accelerate achieving our objectives, growth, and transformation, we are looking for a strong Cost management Campus lead for the Maryland Campus’ data center builds to work alongside the regional construction Director to commercially manage all data center construction projects.
Being part of this team would give you an opportunity to be part of a rapidly growing business and enable global impact
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Work alongside the Campus DCD Construction Director to commercially manage all projects in the region
- Provide on location commercial management to the projects to ensure that Microsoft is financially and contractually protected
- Management of all commercial issues on all current, future, and past projects and report on these issues through the DCD head office in Redmond on a regular basis
- Commercial management of the GC from liaison with our procurement office on the RFP documents through to the final payments and agreement of the final accounts and paperwork. This will also include:
- Agreement of estimates with the GC during design development and agreement of the GMP.
- Pay application approval
- Commercial agreement for all change orders
- Review of all funding requests
- Review and agreement of all GC procurement of the subcontract packages including the approval of the LOAs (letters of Authorization)
- Commercial review of all disputes that may arise
- Commercial management of all other program vendors including AE, Cx, Inspections, PMQS, QRA to include:
- Presenting proposals to head office for purchase order approval
- Approving invoices
- Final closeout
- Manage the QS firm contracted to provide commercial support in the region.
- Assist in the procurement of QS firm
- Provide onboarding of the firm
- Manage the resources allocated to the projects to ensure that they are appropriate in number and quality
- Regular MBUs with the firm
- Payment of invoices
- Cost Reporting: Work with the PMQS, GC and project controls to ensure that the full suite of cost reports are available for review by Redmond monthly
- Provide the PER (funding) team with all commercial support necessary to ascertain the required timing of the funding intervals and all commercial information needed to back up these funding requests to management. This will normally involve the production of multiple option cost scenarios.
- Design Team commercial support: From project kick-off through to final design provide commercial support on business cases, value engineering studies and change control as the design evolves from POR though to final design
- Site selection support: Work with our site selection team in the region to provide constructability reports and site-specific comparative estimates on candidate sites. Also provide all funding and PO support necessary for this team to perform in the region
- Commercial Process control: Review the current commercial processes in the region and develop these into a commercial playbook. On agreement of this playbook the candidate shall be responsible for the consistent implementation of same
- 5 years of experience managing the estimating, cost and/or commercials on a major construction program
- Working knowledge of construction contracts used in AMERs
- Deep commercial knowledge of construction costs in the region
- Deep knowledge of the commercial management role in the procurement of general contracts and other construction vendors
- Ability to understand what "right" looks like contractually and financially and then be able to negotiate with the other parties to ensure that this is the final position.
- Good communication skills, ability to collaborate with all other areas of the data center program, be able to think strategically, ability to build the trust of our construction partners needed to agree very large construction GMPs and final accounts
- Working towards RICS or equivalent qualification
- Experience on location in the construction industry
- Construction degree or Construction commercial management degree or Quantity Surveying degree
Describe the ideal candidate (optional)
The ideal candidate will have a deep knowledge of construction costs and will be comfortable in a construction team environment. Experience in leading cost teams in negotiations with general contractors is essential. The candidate will have a solid contractual and procurement knowledge base and can work in a fast-paced environment dealing with multiple stakeholders.
HM: ADD three questions relevant to the ROLE for candidates applying (optional):
- Are you a qualified and experienced construction cost manager?
- Have you had experience working on a construction program as a cost manager, estimating, negotiating, and reporting on all aspects of construction costs?
- Do you have experience in the provision of commercial management support for the procurement of general contractors and other construction professionals?
Background Check Requirements:
The ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.