Principal Tech Artist
Location: Mountain View, California, Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Studio Alpha is Microsoft’s Serious-Gaming Studio. We are building all-new technology that will enable organizations to simulate and solve hugely complex, planet-scale problems using artificial intelligence run in the Cloud and visualized using the latest in Gaming Technology.
This is an amazing opportunity for someone to join our creative leadership team as our Principal Technical Art Director. Our mission is both challenging and meaningful and we’re looking for someone to apply their creative skills to bring the power of the Cloud to the world’s most difficult problems. Join us and make a difference!
We have a need for a world class Technical Artist who has a passion and proven track record working with AAA game engines to develop innovative products and to create Proof of Concept work around future opportunities.
In this role you will be responsible for implementing our 3D vision. Artistic and technical excellence is critical, and the successful candidate will have a track record of innovating with real-time engines.
- Technically guide the visual development of our real-time 3D time environment with expert-level thought leadership on lighting, tools and pipelines, environment biomes, in-engine effects and more
- Deliver impactful real-time prototypes and demos of future experiences that excite our team and provide new ways of thinking about our mission
- Own our 3D content pipeline strategy and ensure we are pushing the boundaries of realism
- Bridge the gap between our creative and engineering teams as an unflinching advocate for excellence
- Collaborate by bringing tech and tools from across Microsoft into something bigger than its component parts.
- Create or leverage existing gaming connections to align our work with the latest advancements in the industry.
Required for role:
- 8+ years of professional experience in games or real-time engine development (we’re currently using Unreal so knowledge of that would be advantageous)
- Please note that a portfolio of work is an application requirement for this role
- Personal artistic ability in 3D, comfortable producing artwork to support your work and as an aid to communication.
- Comfortable communicating and presenting across disciplines and seniority levels. Collaboration is essential and we’re looking for someone to inspire, influence, and bring people together
- Demonstrated leadership responsibility for delivery of a technically demanding product or game, in a team environment, from idea conception through launch.
- Please tell us of any technical specialisms you can bring to the role and team.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.