Business Development Director - Critical Infrastructure and Transportation
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Austin, Texas, Bellevue, Washington, Boston, Massachusetts, Charlotte, North Carolina, Chicago, Illinois, Dallas, Texas, Houston, Texas, Irvine, California, Los Angeles, California, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Nashville, Tennessee, New York, New York, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, San Diego, California, San Francisco, California, Seattle, Washington, Tampa, Florida, Washington, District of Columbia
Job Type: Full time
Identifies and builds Public Sector opportunities for partnership and sales with senior-level strategic executive partners through evaluating, prioritizing, and pursuing market opportunities, in Critical Infrastructure and Transportation industries, to drive market disruptions and new opportunities, becoming a platform player and market creator. The person in this position:
- Creates and incorporates a strategy for business by setting objectives, defining the governance model, and driving the team to create a strong pipeline of opportunities.
- Manages expectations with customers to define and create achievable and realistic strategic goals and objectives, ensuring that execution plans are operationalized and aligned according to goals.
- Drives the identification of Microsoft stakeholders for working with and through and acts as a trusted advisor to senior leaders in partnership with and representation of regional or area leadership.
- Leads efforts to create an ecosystem between customers and internal Microsoft stakeholders.
- Negotiates deals with customers and stakeholders to align on needs and create strategic partnerships.
- Finalizes deals that are mutually beneficial and integrates the necessary stakeholders to assure success.
- Provides iterative improvements within sales partnerships and processes and provides recommendations for strategic improvements based on data; drives continuous improvement and innovations through providing and integrating feedback effectively.
- Drives the management of projects and programs in alignment with strategic goals by setting objectives and driving team to achieve the goals.
Customer and Partner Focus
- Leverages internal and external network to develop new strategic relationships with senior business and technical decision makers; develops relationships as a trusted advisor for a particular line of business; provides industry insights internally.
- Articulates the value of Microsoft solutions in the context of the customer's perspective, leveraging knowledge of customer and partner business priorities and/or drivers and anticipating changes and actions to influence decision making, identify opportunities, and influence the product roadmap.
- Executes and applies value propositions, amending the framework as appropriate to create a partnerships with customers and partners. Influences internal stakeholders and partners and promotes the value of opportunities.
- Positions the Microsoft value proposition versus competitors and works with stakeholders to influence product roadmap to meet customer needs, leveraging knowledge of Microsoft and customer issues in conjunction with product/industry teams to establish a foundation for future opportunities in competitive situations through collaboration. Provides insight on industry and/or competitive trends and drives action based on insights.
- Identifies and collaborates with a diverse set of stakeholders to develop plans to source deals that target high-priority gaps across technology, product, business, and/or geography. Identifies opportunities and strategy and maps target customers/partners; utilizes quantitative data (e.g., usage, revenue) to inform internal and external decisions; provides input into recommendations on partners.
- Builds and shares pipeline plans. Manages pipeline by identifying and promoting prioritizing, guiding, influencing processes that develop and deliver on pipeline opportunities and optimize resources to better deliver including preparing information for reporting to key stakeholders, identifying key stakeholders and reporting.
- Leads deal opportunities across deal stages (e.g., Strategic Approval (SA), Approval to Negotiate (A2N), Final Go-no-go (FGNG)) Represents Microsoft in key customer and partner interactions and recommends deal structures, leveraging experience to articulate key deal terms. Collaborates proactively to close opportunities and scale the business. Identifies opportunities for customized approaches. Identifies negotiation scenarios and manages executive escalations. Manages stakeholders to gain consensus and ensure internal alignment.
- Develops plans for managing deals, including communications and reporting with Microsoft stakeholders. Resolves blocking issues using known techniques.
- Collaborates with customers, partners, and Microsoft colleagues to develop post-deal governance and ensure design, communication, and alignment in creation and implementation of execution plans across a portfolio of deals within a particular domain; ensures customers and partners are prepared for implementation. Develops KPIs to demonstrate achieved business value. Troubleshoots complex issues and course corrects as appropriate. Articulates alternatives to blockers across a body of deals to develop consistent deal negotiation policy and drive application of scalable resolutions.
- Experience developing pursuits in the public sector critical infrastructure/transportation industry.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Liberal Arts, Sciences, or related field AND 5+ years relevant work experience (e.g., investment banking, consulting, finance, marketing, corporate strategy, sales, venture capital, legal, business development, product management, project management, software development, or related field)
- OR equivalent experience.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Liberal Arts, Sciences, or related field AND 7+ years relevant work experience (e.g., investment banking, consulting, finance, marketing, corporate strategy, sales, venture capital, legal, business development, product management, project management, software development, or related field)
- OR Master's/Advanced Degree in Business, Sciences, or related field and 5+ years relevant work experience (e.g., investment banking, consulting, finance, marketing, corporate strategy, sales, venture capital, legal, business development, product management, project management, software development, or related field)
- OR equivalent experience.
- 6+ years experience in the technology industry OR in a technical role (e.g., IT, Engineering).
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Acumen
- Business Development Deal Prioritization
- Business Relationship Management
- Business Value Communication
- Company Acumen
- Competitive Analysis
- Conflict Resolution
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Data Analysis
- Decision Making
- English Language Proficiency
- Financial Analysis
- Influence Others
- Innovation & Capability Growth
- Market Research
- Microsoft Products
- Opportunity Management
- Oral Communication
- Organizational Savvy
- Problem Solving
- Program Management
- Project Management
- Quality Assurance
- Strategic Thinking
- Technology Industry Knowledge
- Trend Analysis
- Written Communication
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.