Critical Environment Technician
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Type: Full time
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a Senior Data Center Critical Environment Technician (CET IV).
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I Critical Environment Technician, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development of all employees and offers trainings and opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action!
As a successful Critical Environment Technician, your success is measured by:
- Learn, Live, and Coach the One Microsoft culture and values. Lead through change by bringing clarity, generating energy, and delivering success.
- Empower a culture of safety and security in global datacenter operations by complying with CO+I’s safety programs and policies and completing required compliance knowledge assessments.
- Develop positive working relationships with internal teams and external stakeholders.
As a successful Critical Environment Technician, your day-to-day work will include:
- Operates and maintains all critical environments systems and equipment in the data center.
- Ensure safety and security policies along with facility processes and procedures are followed to properly perform work in a safe, quality, and reliable manner in accordance with applicable federal, state, local, and Microsoft requirements.
- Monitor, document, and maintain accurate data in the performance of maintenance and operations on all electrical, mechanical, and fire/life safety equipment within the data center.
- Lead in the troubleshooting of facility and rack-level events.
- Plan and perform rack installations, rack decommissioning, equipment/facility readings, and critical infrastructure operations and maintenance activities.
- Provide reporting for key performance indicators, telemetry information, and facility data to leadership and other required stakeholders.
- Escort contractors, sub-contractors, vendors, and service providers on site, ensuring that all work performed is in accordance with standard practices, procedures, federal/local legislation, and municipal codes.
- Support operations and maintenance of the data center through channels such as work order ticketing systems, Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), root cause analysis, change management processes, documentation and upkeep of procedures and building management systems.
- Respond to emergencies and critical issues as necessary, involving all relevant team members to work towards complete incident mitigation.
- Coordinate troubleshooting and documentation of technical issues. Escalate as appropriate and ensure issue resolution.
- Provide support to projects and construction activities on site as required. Process method of statement procedure (MSP) documents. Coordinate work activities with contractors. Perform inspections of equipment, participate in testing and commissioning activities.
- Plan and coordinate schedules. Develop scope of project work.
- Develop methods of operating procedure (MOPs) and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for site equipment and systems as needed to ensure safe and reliable execution.
Microsoft reviews all applications that meet the below Required Qualifications.
For this role, you are welcome to apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 5+ years mission critical services work/applied learning experience (e.g., high availability assembly / manufacturing / critical infrastructure environments such as data centers, oil and gas refineries, hospitals, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, or related fields) or equivalent experience.
- Ability to work 12 hours shifts, including shift assignments during non-standard business hours that may include evening, nighttime, weekends, and/or holidays.
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent AND 7+ years mission critical services experience (e.g., high-availability assembly/manufacturing/critical infrastructure environments such as data centers, oil and gas refineries, hospitals, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, or related fields) OR, Associate degree or technical trade certification (e.g., military, trade school), or higher-equivalent education)
- Proficient in written and oral English communication to support regional and global teams.
Physical Conditions and Work Environment:
- Flexibility to work non-standard business hours that may include nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- Respond to emergency calls during non-working hours.
- Work a shift-based schedule to support 24x7 site operations.
- Ability to support frequent standing, walking, lifting, and working at heights with or without equipment assistance.
- Ability to lift and move 50 lbs./23 kg. of equipment, work on platforms, ladders and under raised floors.
- Regularly walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Work at heights and from ladders.
- Maintain balance and perform maintenance tasks while on a ladder.
- Perform physical tasks throughout a scheduled shift without overexertion.
- Perform work in an environment with high levels of noise.
- Push or pull heavy objects.
- Bend and twist to perform required movements during work activities.
**This role is required to be onsite at the Data Center during scheduled work hours
Background Check Requirements:
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.