Principal Software Engineer
Location: Elkridge, Maryland, Houston, Texas, Mountain View, California, Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Studio Alpha is Microsoft’s Serious Gaming initiative. We empower organizations to solve complex planet-scale massive data problems using simulation and artificial intelligence run in the Cloud, visualized using Gaming Technology. We’re pushing boundaries by applying the latest simulation technology to our growing Azure cloud capabilities. Be part of an exciting new business start-up and help us expand our industry leading cloud and AI expertise into new sectors. We are looking for Principal Engineer who has a passion and proven track record in distributed computing at cloud-scale.
We are a growing team of talented software engineers, designers, and product managers. If you are passionate about groundbreaking technology and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset and collaboration, we need you! Our varied backgrounds and unique experiences enable us to be better at building the best solutions for our customers. Be a part of a team that values collaboration, experimentation, and innovation. Your unique background, ideas, skills, partnered with a growth mindset are welcome in this team.
This is a Principal level technical leadership role required to bring structure to unstructured problems. As a Principal Engineer, you’ll work on a variety of design challenges across application architecture and infrastructure. Therefore, they must possess advanced technical skills and experience in designing distributed applications and systems on the Cloud platform. Simply speaking, they are responsible for creating blueprints of application designs.
You will be creating and building the end-to-end data model per the pillars of architecture. You will be hands-on writing code for capturing data, APIs, spatial data, high scale data throughput, cloud-based persistent storage, and distributed compute pipelines. You will work to enable observability, reliability, and scalability. In this role, you’ll see a direct link between your work, product growth, and user satisfaction, making science fiction, science fact. Successful candidates will have a track record of shipping quality software and excel at communicating effectively within a growing organization. We offer flexibility to work anywhere in the US for this role.
- Designing and deploying dynamically scalable, available, fault-tolerant, and reliable applications and distributed systems on the Cloud
- Selecting appropriate Cloud services to design and deploy an application based on given requirements
- Migrating complex, multi-tier applications on Cloud Platforms
- Designing and deploying enterprise-wide scalable operations on Cloud Platforms
- Implementing cost-control strategies
Apply if you:
- Have Strong problem-solving skills.
- Be self-driven and demonstrate successful delivery of ambiguous technical challenges
- Have Execution skills (self-direction, drive for results, individual accountability)
- Have Ability to quickly ramp up on new service offerings and OSS components
- Capable of quick prototyping and rapid iteration to ‘fail fast’ while solving problems of high technical complexity and scale in game development context.
- 3+ years of engineering experience releasing Cloud products or services into production in either Azure, GCP or AWS
- 4+ years programming of either of these languages (C++, C#, Java, Scala, Go)
- 2+ years of experience in developing a product using cloud infrastructure automation tools such as ARM, chef, terraform or bicep
- 4+ years of experience designing system architecture
- 2+ years of experience with Containerization technology (i.e. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Bachelors or master’s in computer science or similar engineering degree, or 10+ years of equivalent industry experience
- Product Development Expertise to operationalize a service, taking a product from inception to production
- 2+ years of experience in designing service automation and incident management
- 3+ years of product telemetry and observability analysis (i.e. using tools like Kusto, xlens, and AP)
- 1+ years of experience in working on scalable entity models, or ontologies
- Having implemented zero touch deployment, blue green deployment, strong in CI/CD
- Track record of building highly resilient products
- Track record of building data pipelines to be interoperable with various data formats and data models.
- Track record of enterprise data strategy to establish data contracts, data lineage and data catalog.
- Demonstrable Technical Leadership in Product Development.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills.
Nice to Have
- Some ModSim or Game Development or multi-player experience, preferably in 3D environments
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.