Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Location: Elkridge, Maryland, Houston, Texas, Mountain View, California, Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Studio Alpha is Microsoft’s Serious Gaming initiative. We empower organizations to solve complex planet-scale massive data problems using simulation and artificial intelligence run in the Cloud, visualized using Gaming Technology. We’re pushing boundaries by applying the latest simulation technology to our growing Azure cloud capabilities. Be part of an exciting new business start-up and help us expand our industry leading cloud and AI expertise into new sectors. We are looking for Senior Mission Learning Engineer who has a passion and proven track record in distributed computing at cloud-scale.
We are a growing team of talented software engineers, designers, and product managers. If you are passionate about groundbreaking technology and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset and collaboration, we need you! Our varied backgrounds and unique experiences enable us to be better at building the best solutions for our customers. Be a part of a team that values collaboration, experimentation, and innovation. Your unique background, ideas, skills, partnered with a growth mindset are welcome in this team.
This is a senior level ML engineer role and is a technical leadership role required to bring structure to unstructured problems. This role offers you the opportunity to have your own swim lane and differentiate yourself. In this role, you will be working with a variety of technologies and teams at the cutting edge of technology in ML to productize their innovation at Studio Alpha. This can include teams inside of Microsoft like MRS, OpenAI, Xion, MINTED accelerator, as well external partners. Machine learning engineers concentrate on coding and deploying complex, large-scale machine learning products. A machine learning engineer takes models (statistical or machine learning) developed by data scientists and turns them into a live production system. We are looking for an experienced data scientist to help us release ML models into production. Your job will entail driving through mountains of data and extracting insights to help us understand the ever-changing environment of customer Modim, geolocation, plan, and other product data. Do you love big data and the challenges it entails? Do you like the idea of applying your technical skills to protect millions of citizens? Do you want to be part of a team of smart, talented, and mission-driven people? Then this job is for you! You will be creating and building the end-to-end data model per the pillars of architecture. You will be hands-on writing code for capturing data, APIs, spatial data, high scale data throughput, cloud-based persistent storage, and distributed compute pipelines. In this role, you’ll see a direct link between your work, product growth, and user satisfaction, making science fiction, science fact. Successful candidates will have a track record of shipping quality software and excel at communicating effectively within a growing organization. We offer flexibility to work anywhere in the US for this role.
- Designing and deploying dynamically scalable, available, fault-tolerant, and reliable applications and distributed systems on the Cloud
- Design, build and maintain data pipelines by Azure services to consolidate existing signals and bring new signals
- Analyze new data sources and research new patterns and techniques that can be used in automated detection
- Implement machine learning algorithms and libraries
- Communicate complex processes to business leaders
- Analyze large and complex data sets to derive valuable insights
- Research and implement best practices to enhance existing machine learning infrastructure
- Leverage data models by the different teams and services to build algorithms and automated detection capabilities and surface insights at studio alpha
- Ship high-quality, well-tested, secure, and maintainable code, and continuously improve the tech stack to maximize the data engineering efficiency
- Designing and deploying enterprise-wide scalable operations on Cloud Platforms
- Write production level code and bring code into production. This will mean engaging in Code Reviews
Apply if you:
- Have Strong problem-solving skills, effective root cause analysis and deep failure analysis
- Be self-driven and demonstrate successful delivery of ambiguous technical challenges
- Have Execution skills (self-direction, drive for results, individual accountability)
- Have Ability to quickly ramp up on new service offerings and OSS components
- Capable of quick prototyping and rapid iteration to ‘fail fast’ while solving problems of high technical complexity and scale in game development context
- 3+ years of engineering experience releasing Cloud products or services into production in either Azure, GCP or AWS
- 5+ years of experience solving problems through statistical modeling, data engineering, applied ML, and data analysis.
- 2+ years of experience leveraging Containerization technology (i.e. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Proficient in data analytics languages (SQL, R, or Python), some programming experience (C#, PySpark, Scala) and tools for model implementation (i.e. tensorflow, CNTK, etc)
- Strong understanding of Data Engineering and experience with building ML online services.
- Strong understanding of deep-learning and neural networks
- Product Development Expertise to operationalize a service, taking a product from inception to production
- Strong communication skills with other data scientists and with partners from other domain
- 1+ years of experience in working on scalable entity models, or ontologies
- Track record of building highly resilient products
- Track record of building data pipelines to be interoperable with various data formats and data models
- Track record of enterprise data strategy to establish data contracts, data lineage and data catalog
- Demonstrable Technical Leadership in Product Development
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills
- Bachelors, masters or PhD in computer science, ML, Statistics, quantitative domain or similar engineering degree, or 10+ years of equivalent industry experience
Nice to Have:
- Some ModSim or Game Development or multi-player experience, preferably in 3D environments
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.