Mechanical Engineer 2
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) group is looking for a Mechanical Engineer 2 to design custom hardware and certified test equipment to automate the measurement and validation of electrical and mechanical components and interconnected systems found with large datacenters. This hardware will simplify testing and reduce the cost and schedule of delivery new data center capacity.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
The core deliverables for this position will include:
- Mechanical designs, implementation, and delivery of high-quality products that meet Engineering spec
- Interface with multi-discipline teams in development of system hardware and external suppliers
- Conduct design reviews, DFx and tolerance analysis for ME parts in the system
- Present technical content, proposals, and risk mitigation items to management
- Develop outsourced testing plans and comprehensive testing reports
- Drive innovation and identifying opportunities related to designing next generation test equipment
- Collaborate with teammates in various roles to plan and execute on key deliverables
- Work in a culture of continuous improvement, adaptation, reflection, and growth
- Learn quickly from your peers, projects, and interactions with customers
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent
- 4+ years of relevant experience in Mechanical design and product development
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Knowledge of Inventor/SolidWorks or CAD software – 3D modeling, assembly management, 2D drawing release.
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing.
- Knowledge of mechanical process, materials and finishes to achieve ID, reliability test & feature requirements.
- Experience in investigating relevant product design concepts, driving relevant analysis and trade-offs aligned with product goals, contributing end to end product development (i.e. conceptualization, production, sustaining).
- Good understanding of thermal design concepts
- Experience in shipping volume hardware devices from proto concepts to production ramp
- Good understanding of plastic and metal tooling concepts and validation
- Ability to communicate complex ideas and concepts to a variety of cross-group stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills, a bias for action, and ability to deliver results
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, and meet demanding deadlines
- Proven ability to deal with ambiguity and drive for clarity.
These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.