Software Engineer - DevOps
Location: Elkridge, Maryland, Houston, Texas, Mountain View, California, Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Studio Alpha is Microsoft’s Serious Gaming initiative. We empower organizations to solve complex planet-scale massive data problems using simulation and artificial intelligence run in the Cloud, visualized using Gaming Technology. We’re pushing boundaries by applying the latest simulation technology to our growing Azure cloud capabilities. Be part of an exciting new business start-up and help us expand our industry leading cloud and AI expertise into new sectors. We are looking for a DevOps Engineer who has a passion and proven track record in distributed computing at cloud-scale. If you are looking for a role where you can shine, this role offers the ability for you to stand out and differentiate yourself.
We are a growing team of talented software engineers, designers, and product managers. If you are passionate about groundbreaking technology and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset and collaboration, we need you! Our varied backgrounds and unique experiences enable us to be better at building the best solutions for our customers. Be a part of a team that values collaboration, experimentation, and innovation. Your unique background, ideas, skills, partnered with a growth mindset are welcome in this team.
This is a software engineer role focused on DevOps and Deployments. As a member on the team, you will participate in all stages of our engineering lifecycle such as designing, coding, testing, deploying and supporting features that enable our mission critical applications. This role will be focused on continuous integration, continuous delivery, automation, Infrastructure as code, microservices and instrumentation to enable monitoring. We are passionate about having a culture of learning fast and constantly iterating towards success. In this role, you’ll see a direct link between your work, product growth, and user satisfaction, making science fiction, science fact. Successful candidates will have a track record of shipping quality.
- Recommend a migration and consolidation strategy for DevOps tools
- Design and implement an Agile work management approach
- Create a tool integration strategy, secure dev process, version control strategy, source control strategy, dependency management strategy, release strategy
- Release management workflow, integrate source control, manage build infrastructure, implement code flow, manage application configuration and secrets, implement an appropriate deployment pattern
- Manage code quality and security policies, Implement a build and container build strategy
- Selecting appropriate Cloud services to design and deploy an application based on given requirements
- Design an infrastructure and configuration management strategy, implement Infrastructure as Code (IaC), manage Azure Kubernetes Service infrastructure
- Implement infrastructure compliance and security
- Recommend and design system feedback mechanisms, implement a process for routing system feedback to development teams, Optimize feedback mechanisms
- Migrating complex, multi-tier applications on Cloud Platforms
- Designing and deploying enterprise-wide scalable operations on Cloud Platforms
- Implementing cost-control strategies
- We are looking for Software Engineers with well-rounded experiences working with all aspects of high throughput and multi-tenant services in private clouds.
- The SWE would evaluate gaps in our services when functioning in private cloud and design/ develop these features to fill those gaps
- The SWE should be aware of DevOps concepts and best practices, have CI/CD implementation expertise as well as have experience troubleshooting service issues
- Besides participating in the daily live site operations together with the other engineers on the team, the SWE will be responsible for making sure the right monitoring is in place (and add monitoring when needed) as well as track and implement Performance and COGS monitoring and fixes.
- You should use private cloud’s day to day operations and offer inputs to feature teams to improve overall operation overhead in private clouds
- Application development concepts of multi-threaded, asynchronous patterns, locks to synchronize access to state.
Apply if you:
- Have Strong problem-solving skills.
- Be self-driven and demonstrate successful delivery of ambiguous technical challenges
- Have Ability to quickly ramp up on new service offerings and OSS components
- Capable of quick prototyping and rapid iteration to ‘fail fast’ while solving problems of high technical complexity
- 3+ years programming of either of these languages (Java, .Net, C# or C++)
- 2+ years of experience releasing a product in Azure Cloud technologies and distributed systems
- Demonstrated experience in implementing zero touch deployment, blue green deployment, strong in CI/CD
- 2+ years of experience using Bicep, Terraform or ARM templates to deploy infrastructure components into cloud based solutions (Azure will be added advantage)
- 3+ years of DevOps and Containers technology Experience (i.e. Docker, Kubernetes)
- The sucessful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen
- Citizenship Verfication: This position requires verfication of U.S. Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- 2+ years experience building/delivering high – quality software
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills
- Writes high quality code and driven to excellence in engineering processes
- Passion for design and technological challenges
- Great communication skills to collaborate cross-group and work effectively within the team.
- 1+ years of experience in working on scalable entity models, or ontologies
- Bachelors or master’s in computer science or similar engineering degree, or 10+ years of equivalent industry experience
Nice to Have:
- Some ModSim or Game Development or multi-player experience: Either 3D environmental development, Unreal, Omniverse
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.