Software Engineer - GIS
Location: Mountain View, California, Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Studio Alpha is Microsoft’s Serious Gaming Studio. We empower organizations to solve complex, planet-scale, massive data problems using game-based technologies in the cloud. We are on an exciting journey transforming critical decision making and helping commercial industry and government organizations solve complex problems with trusted results.
Through integration of geospatial services, large scale distributed simulation, artificial intelligent frameworks and 3d visualization on the cloud, we empower developers to extend the capabilities for specific use cases,
Be part of an exciting new business and help us bring strategic gaming into the cloud age!
You will be engaged in designing and implementing GIS features for Studio Alpha, including geospatial cloud services, data pipelines, and analytical tools. We are looking for a candidate with solid software and systems engineering skills ready to build and learn new technologies in the 3D GIS, gaming, and modeling and simulation space.
You will be responsible for working with Azure, as well as internal and external geospatial tools and data, to deliver geospatial services that are simulation-aware, accurate, and of high visual quality. Familiarity with Python, gdal, Kubernetes, ArcGIS, QGIS, and/or Cesium is helpful; however, more than expertise in specific technologies we are looking for a candidate with fundamental GIS and software (data structures, algorithms, DevOps) knowledge. Success in this role requires strong software engineering skills, experience with GIS, and the ability to learn new technologies quickly.
If you have a passion for the geospatial sciences and the desire to work on cutting-edge problems, then you will be in great company on our team.
- 2+ years of experience working with GIS fundamentals such as projections, coordinate systems, data standards & quality, cartography, remote sensing, and terrain and raster analysis
- Prior experience working in Azure, AWS or GCP
- 2+ years of experience in static programming languages such as C++, Java or similar modern development languages
- Experience with simulation software
- Experience working as a software engineer, designing and implementing production quality code and tests
- Experience with 3D GIS data or modeling in gaming environments
- Familiarity with distributed GIS or spatial ETL
- Familiarity with containerization technologies such as Docker or Kubernetes
- Experience creating APIs or SDKs
- Bachelor's or higher degree in computer science, systems engineering, GIS, geography or related field or equivalent engineering experience
- Strong collaborative and interpersonal skills
- Strong C++ knowledge
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.