Software Engineer - CTJ
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, Elkridge, Maryland, Redmond, Washington, Reston, Virginia
Job Type: Full time
Are you excited to be on the front-line of delivering Microsoft products to empower customers? Are you passionate about owning services from overall health to code changes? Do you enjoy optimizing reliability, performance, cost, and solving complex problems with software and systems solutions?
Microsoft Power Apps is quickly becoming a leader in the low-code app development space, and as part of our overall strategy of focusing on solid fundamentals, we are investing in zero touch deployment (ZTD) and maintenance of our online services. We’re looking for a strong software engineer to help us build automated deployment and maintenance related features for personas across the stack from administrator to app maker to end user. You’ll have a broad reach by working with many teams across the ever-growing Power Platform family, Azure, and other areas at Microsoft. This is a newly formed team in Power Apps, so you’ll be part of the initial voyage in redefining how we develop, test, deploy, and service with automation and scalability in mind.
The rapid growth of the Microsoft Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agent, Power BI), is fueled by organizations across the globe investing in leveraging low-code/no-code development models to accelerate their digital transformation ambitions. Power Platform is a strategic new growth area for Microsoft, but more importantly, it is a disruptor technology that is giving “Citizen access” to broader set of users in an enterprise, to create next generation of business productivity software via radically simplified experience and without requiring extensive and costly training. It is transforming careers of ‘citizen developers’, making pro-developers far more productive and helping IT finally innovate at the pace that their businesses expect.
We are a small highly collaborative group, where everyone's ideas and contributions are valued. As a software engineer on the team, you will be responsible for the design, implementation, release, and maintenance of new features to support our product. This is an agile, data-driven, and fast-paced environment, where engineers are empowered to innovate and take ideas from concept to scale.
- Supports ongoing engagements with product engineering teams by participating in code/design reviews, regular meetings, on-call rotations, and incident responses throughout product development and operations cycles; draws insights from engagements with product engineering teams and basic analyses of telemetry data to propose potential improvements to code and designs for a defined set of product components or features with guidance from other engineers.
- Responds to incidents during regular on-call rotations by identifying the level of impact, troubleshooting basic issues, and deploying appropriate fixes to resolve root cause(s); alerts product teams or owners to major customer impacting issues and escalates the resolution of complex issues and/or those affecting multiple components or features to other engineers as needed. Shares details related to incidents and their resolution through post-mortem reports and during regular review meetings.
- Develops an understanding of key learnings, insights, and best practices that can be applied to improve system, platform, and/or product development and operations by participating in code/design reviews, incident drills and debriefs, and regular meetings, as well interactions with more experienced Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) and members of product engineering teams.
- Develops an understanding of how to safely and reliably manage changes in production by using existing tools and automation to enable product engineering teams implement changes across a defined range of components or features, with direction from other engineers.
- Develops an understanding of the code, features, and operations of specific products at scale as required to contribute to incremental improvements in product availability, reliability, efficiency, observability, and/or performance; participates in on-boarding, code/design reviews, and regular meetings with the engineering teams that develop and/or manage those products.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience.
- 1+ years of experience in at least one object-oriented programming language: C#, C++/C, Java or Python.
- 1+ years of Software Engineering and experience in testing, deploying and supporting large scale services on Azure, AWS or similar environments.
- Top Secret Poly Clearance:
- The successful candidate must have an active U.S. Government Top Secret Clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) with Polygraph. Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. Failure to maintain or obtain the appropriate U.S. Government clearance and/or customer screening requirements may result in employment action up to and including termination.
- US Citizenship:
- The successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen. Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
- Cloud Screening: Candidates must be able to successfully complete and pass a Microsoft Cloud background screening. Required Cloud Screenings will be administered on a recurring bi-annual basis.
Candidates selected for this position may need to comply with Federal Executive Order 14042 mandating that federal contractors and subcontractors receive the COVID-19 vaccine by being fully vaccinated before their date of hire, or work with Microsoft to receive an approved religious or medical accommodation.
- 2+ years working in CI/CD within an agile environment
- 2+ years of experience in software requirement engineering, architecture and design
- Demonstrated skill in technical deep-dives into troubleshooting software services, system design, and multi-service integration.
- Strong debugging, testing / validation and analytical skills.
- Outstanding cross-discipline and cross group collaboration skills
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing global scale distributed systems and critical production service environments.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.