Principal Software Engineer
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
You may have heard about Microsoft’s vision of Azure as the world’s computer. The Azure Big Data Cosmos Analytics team runs billions of large-scale data jobs on hundreds of thousands of machines serving Microsoft mission critical big data pipelines.
Cosmos Big Data Analytics provides critical big data infrastructure for Microsoft. Almost every product and service at Microsoft uses Cosmos Analytics to run their mission critical businesses, from Windows to Office, from Bing to Windows devices and many others. Our Cosmos Platform team runs a hyper scale fleet of servers and the largest Hadoop yarn cluster in the world.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join Azure Data Cosmos Analytics team, helping to maintain, improve, and deliver impactful new features, performance, and efficiency improvements at scale.
- Work with engineers, program managers and partner teams to deliver a set of features with the right overall design and architecture.
- Act as technical leader, mentor junior developers and lead large scope projects and problem domains.
- Write clean, robust, and well-thought-out code with an emphasis on quality, performance, simplicity, durability, scalability, and maintainability.
- Execute the team approach to Software Engineering by designing, coding, testing, debugging, building, and deploying across multiple endpoints.
- Commit to delivering the best experience for customers.
- Demonstrate strong, end-to-end ownership.
- Deploy systems to production. Production health is a direct responsibility of this position, including on-call duties.
- Help create a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can bring their full and authentic self, where all voices are heard, and where we do our best work as a result.
Qualifications - Minimum qualifications:
- 10+ years of professional, hands-on industry experience in designing, implementing, deploying, and maintaining complex software at scale.
- 4+ years of development experience in any of the major systems programming languages: C++, C, Java, or C#
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience - Able to demonstrate and apply solid computer Science fundamentals.
- Experience with open source, systems development, distributed systems and large-scale software development and platforms.
- Experience with large scale, distributed systems.
- Strong track record of collaboration with team members and partner organizations.
- Ability to propose multiple solutions and make tradeoffs in pursuit of great customer outcomes.
- Curious, self-motivated, and driven.
- Familiar with Agile/Scrum/Lean Methodology.
Cloud Screening (required for all C+AI Job Descriptions)
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check:
- This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.