Principal Engineering Manager
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Job Type: Full time
Microsoft is a company where passionate innovators come to collaborate, envision what can be and take their careers to levels they cannot achieve anywhere else. This is a world of more possibilities, more innovation, more openness, and the sky is the limit thinking a cloud-enabled world.
Microsoft’s Intelligence Platform engineering team is leading the transformation of analytics in the world of data with products like Power BI, Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Explorer. We will bring the world’s data to the Microsoft Cloud, power a new class of data first applications, and empower everyone on the planet to make better decisions with data.
We do not just value differences or different perspectives. We seek them out and invite them in so we can tap into the collective power of everyone in the company. As a result, our ideas are better, our products are better, and our customers are better served.
The working population on the planet is over 3 billion people. Our opportunity with Power BI is to empower everyone to make better decisions with data - starting with the 300 million information workers using Office 365.
We are looking for a great Engineering Manager who will be leading Power BI Report Authoring team, which is responsible for creating beautiful and easy to use report creation experiences across Power BI Service and Desktop Client application.
You will be managing a team of front-end engineers delivering beautiful, easy to use user experiences. You will work in close partnership with Research, UX and PM teams.
- Recruit and retain a diverse and talented team, coach and mentor engineers to help them grow
- Communicate and collaborate with partner teams across Azure Data and beyond to ensure our business objectives are met
- Work with the leadership team of engineering mangers, architects, product managers, and design leads to prioritize critical feature work that enables us to reach our business objectives
- Monitor all aspects of the product, business, and feature execution, to identify patterns and opportunities, then apply that knowledge to future work
- Be a voice for the customer by listening to feedback channels, understanding the BI landscape, and showing empathy
- Define the tools and processes for your team to provide a framework for success
Successful candidates will have the following:
- Great problem solving and design skills, and passion for quality
- Great collaborative skills and ability to work well in a team
- Can-do attitude, with the ability to work through difficult issues
- Ability to see the big picture and stay one step ahead
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Advanced Sciences
- 3+ years of team management and/or technical leadership experience for product software development
- 6+ years of professional development experience designing, coding and debugging
- Experience leading complex software projects over multiple releases covering all stages of the product/service lifecycle
- Web Development / SPA experience with technologies such as Angular / React / TypeScript
- Knowledge and experience working with C# and/or Java
- Familiar with Agile methodologies like Scrum or Kanban
- Familiarity with any enterprise BI tool
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check:
This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.