Software Engineer I
Location: Reston, Virginia
Job Type: Full time
The CHIE (Cloud hardware and Infrastructure Engineering) HW Diagnostic Engineering team is responsible for designing and developing hardware diagnostic software for Server and Rack Infrastructure components that are deployed for Microsoft's online services. We work closely with Microsoft product groups, industry partners and researchers to architect and develop server diagnostics solutions to support servicing of the hardware that supports our cloud services platforms.
We are seeking a highly motivated Software Diagnostic Engineer who has a good understanding of Server and Infrastructure Hardware and their cooling components that are deployed in our Cloud Data Centers and who has a strong desire to learn, contribute and grow in the fastest and biggest growing segment of the industry today.
We are looking for a <Software Engineer I > to join the team.
#CHIE #AZURE #Cloud
- Responsible for working as a member of our HW Diagnostic Development Team to support development of diagnostic software for Server and data center Infrastructure.
- Responsible for working in and out of a data center to support and deployment of HWDIAG tools including recovery of out of service systems as required.
- Responsible for development, validation, deployment and operations (DEVOPS) of specific HW Diagnostic Software modules in Powershell or other scripting languages.
- Minimum of an Associates Degree in a Technical field.
- 1+ years of hands-on experience in solving hardware and software problems in PC, Enterprise server or Cloud Server required (X86 environment).
- Strong grasp of key technologies such as CPU, motherboards, BIOS, BMC, memory, PCIe, storage, networking is required.
- Strong grasp of scripting or coding with Powershell, Python, or C++.
- Passion for remote problem solving in cloud environment is essential.
- Individual effectiveness skills such as discipline, time management, decision making, planning, organizing work, summarizing results through technical reports are required.
- Self-motivated individual must be able work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
- Must be able to plan work and work to a plan, adapting as necessary in a rapidly evolving Environment.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer engineering or Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Hands on experience in developing Diagnostic Code as well as skills to work in a laboratory environment is a plus.
- Experience working hands-on in a data center
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Candidates have to maintain an active TS and be willing to upgrade to TS/SCI (with polygraph) or have an active TS/SCI and be willing to upgrade to TS/SCI (with polygraph).
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.