Principal Software Architect - Microsoft Entra
Location: Redmond, Washington
Job Type: Full time
At Microsoft, our core mission is empowering every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Microsoft Entra sits within our Security, Compliance, Identity and Management Division and is at the heart of the day-to-day technology experience for billions of humans globally, playing a critical part in enabling everyone to achieve more. Our suite of products powers everything from Windows to Office, Azure to Xbox. Microsoft Entra is a dynamic and inclusive team which cares deeply about our customer experience and works to solve extraordinarily complex problems at extreme scale. Are you passionate about distributed systems, and how to build and run them at extreme scale? Are you curious, have a passion for learning, and seek to be a force multiplier through your contribution? If that sounds fun, we would love to meet you!
The Identity Platform team is seeking a Principal Software Architect to help our team tackle some of our most complex problems. Our Platform team is charged with increasing availability of mission-critical services and build better software to serve over 1 billion humans globally.
In this role, you will work for a Group Engineering Manager on Identity Platform within Microsoft Entra. You will have a broad role driving vision, architecture and execution of some lynchpin services in Identity, including Traffic Control, Service Runtimes, Continuous Delivery and Livesite Management. Entra has many services that process millions of requests per second, powering hundreds of billions of authentications per day, and most have very challenging availability targets (>99.99%). You will need to have firm opinions, yet open to dialogue, about how to ship critical software quickly and safely. We are looking for a hands-on engineer that can directly design the better mousetrap, provide thoughtful and actionable feedback on other engineers’ proposals, balance better vs. best, and ship the new mousetrap from whiteboard into production.
- 7+ years’ experience software engineering experience
- 4+ years of experience leading technical architecture
Highly Valued Skills:
- Strong track record as a hands-on engineer designing and delivering elegant solutions to meet complex design and architectural challenges in a cloud services environment.
- Deep practical experience operating high-scale services in production environments. Proven experience and contribution to what great observability looks like, what safe deployments look like and whether to push code on Fridays.
- Proven ability to lead and drive consensus across leadership, team, and organizational boundaries and to deliver outcomes – the scope of this role is company-wide.
- Experience leading technical architecture for one or more complex services.
- Extensive experience influencing executive leadership and executive stakeholders.
- Excellent communications skills, comfortable presenting to large audiences and customers.
- Experience driving complex outcomes, partnering with teams across multiple time zones and across organizational boundaries – the scope of this role is division-wide.
- Prior experience with performance analysis and optimization of web services and software.
- Prior experience building services which run on Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud or Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
- Prior experience working in the Identity and/or Security domains.
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.